*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics, Administration
Administrative Supervisor (Office Manager I)
Position #686871 - Requisition 08011
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for an Administrative Supervisor to work in the Department of Pediatrics, at the Denver Campus or Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for serving as a high functioning assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) for the Department of Pediatrics (DOP), as well as providing support to other key leadership positions within DOP Administration including: Finance, Clinical and Business Operations, and Pediatrician-in-Chief Divisional oversight. The position will need anticipate and respond to the Director's expectations in a proactive way, while also prioritizing and accomplishing a variety of administrative tasks for DOP leadership. This role will be required to navigate between complex organizations and manage politically challenging situations. Additionally, responsibilities will require independent judgment, stellar communication and interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to navigate across complex systems in order to get high quality work accomplished on time.
This Administrative Supervisor will also be directly supervise the administrative team within the DOP. This requires ongoing communications and working knowledge of all ongoing team assignments, as well as the ability to use and understand UPI, UCD, and CHCO HR systems. In this capacity, this position will serve to lead the administrative support efforts for the centralized leadership team, and will be expected to navigate a complex work environment and meet the administrative and leadership needs for this group in a diplomatic and professional manner.
Examples of Work Performed:
Administrative Personnel Supervision: 15%
- Manage and directly supervise 3-4 full-time Administrative Assistants, this includes: overseeing interviews, hiring/terminations, training sessions, salary increases, disciplinary actions, and resolving grievances.
- Manage the administrative team by determine scope of work, work standards, work distribution, and coordinating cross-coverage and cross-training of personnel.
- Identify, monitor, document and report performance issues.
- Complete annual performance evaluations utilizing UPI and Children's Hospital Colorado performance evaluation systems.
- Define clear expectations, goals, and objectives for personnel.
- Assess department and management needs and priorities and develop work assignments as appropriate.
- Ensure accountability, on-time delivery, and quality performance.
- Manage directives and ensure all deadlines are met.
- Communicate with staff and leadership on a regular basis in order to determine work prioritization and ensure collaboration across the DOP.
- Provide high level leadership to the administrative group in a thoughtful and effective manner.
- Coach and develop staff competency, skill set, performance, and positive behavior.
- Create and maintain job descriptions of staff.
- Conduct daily team meetings in order to update and set priorities, assess progress, issues, concerns and/or suggestions.
- Conduct one-on-one staff meetings and discuss individual development.
- Create and maintain administrative support team operation manuals.
- Motivate, encourage and develop a positive team work environment.
- Work with other managers in order to coordinate hiring and promotion decisions.
Administrative Support: 85%
- Maintain calendars for the Director of Finance and Administration, the Associate Director, Finance Director and Clinical Business Administrator by planning and scheduling meetings and trainings. Meetings are often with business leaders within CHCO, UPI and UCD, therefore thoughtful communication and collaboration is required.
- Prepare for and support meetings including drafting agendas, scheduling and preparing appropriate meeting spaces, ordering catering, providing hospitality services to guests and assisting with materials, presentations, technology and other resources as requested and/or directed.
- Meetings include (both internal and external to department): (1) Bi-Monthly Administrative Team Meeting - 60-70 attendees through DOP; (2) Monthly CORE Group Meeting - 15 attendees in DOP Administration; (3) Quarterly Pediatric Administration Team - 25 attendees in DOP Administration; (4) Quarterly Finance Projection Meetings - 22 sections within DOP; attendees include Section Head, Business Manager and DOP Finance Director, Finance Analyst, Grants Director and Grants Specialist; (5) Monthly DFA Lunch Meeting - 12-15 attendees, School of Medicine DFA; and (6) Quarterly Clinical Practice Committee -35-40 attendees from DOP, section heads, business managers, UPI representatives.
- Assist with DOP high level executive recruitments, including: itinerary preparation, transportation arrangements, escorting, ordering catering, and providing hospitality service to candidates.
- Prepare surveys based on content provided by leaders; organize survey reports for review and distribution to appropriate audience.
- Oversees the Department Liaison for Office Space by:
- Updating space inventory into the hospital tracking system.
- Attending hospital wide space allocation meetings.
- Receiving and making decisions on department space requests.
- Coordinating space moves with hospital moving company.
- Composing business memos and e-mails on a regular basis.
- Recording and distributing meeting minutes.
- Onboarding of Pediatric Administration staff
- Provide assistance with internal DOP administration candidate interviews by:
- Scheduling interviews at manager's request.
- Preparing interview packets for interviewees.
- Escorting candidates.
- Receiving and tracking interview evaluation forms.
- Manage procurement card reconciliations by:
- Sending reminders to card holders regarding deadlines.
- Receiving/Collecting statements and receipts; reviewing statements to make sure all receipts are attached and no unauthorized charges were made.
- Submitting cards to Associate Director for approval.
- Administer distribution list for DOP faculty.
- Track, collect and compile time reporting for the DOP Director's personnel by payroll deadline (~17 staff).
- Manage the monthly leadership summary report process.
- Run and distribute standard reports; may complete some additional formatting and/or analysis.
- Assist DOP leadership with special projects and proposals:
- Provides assistance with annual Associate Meeting.
- Secures hotel location, catering, outside activities, etc.; schedules meeting locations and spaces.
- Provides administrative support for outside consultants.
- Tracks and coordinates faculty reminders for flu shots, COI surveys, attestations, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $55,000 - $61,500 and is commensurate with skills and experience, and experience within the University of Colorado system. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.jobsatcu.com/hr/postings/true.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Four years of general clerical experience, which must have included one year at the level of an Administrative Assistant III. One (1) year of this experience must have included supervising, assigning, checking and/or monitoring the work of others.
Substitutions: College, university, or non-correspondence business school course work may substitute for experience on a year-for-year basis but not for the specific required experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal and sex offender background check.
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a high level administrative and/or executive assistant.
- Progressive experience working in higher education setting with an emphasis on day-to-day business and administrative operations.
- Expert level experience working with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism by demonstrating initiative, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize, follow through, and meet multiple, concurrent deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent follow-up skills; e.g. keep tracking spreadsheets and obtaining missing paperwork and/or checking in with people to keep a project moving forward.
- Ability to triaging external and internal communications and determining priority.
- Highly proficient in utilizing Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Knowledge and mastery of both written and verbal communication.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. .* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Teri Wilson at Teri.Wilson@childrenscolorado.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Public Safety/Enforcement and Protective Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Jan 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Teri Wilson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00686871