University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The chief responsibility of the department is to assure the best possible outcomes for our patients having surgical operations, painful invasive procedures, and childbirth. The University of Colorado affiliated hospitals have top nationally-recognized physicians delivering the best possible anesthetic care as well as a full range of perioperative care. The AA provides specialized care to patients requiring anesthesia services.
Job Responsibilities: The Anesthesiologist Assistant administers care under the medical direction of the attending Anesthesiologist. The Anesthesiologist Assistant is expected to document the anesthetic care appropriate to the case and to cooperate with the requirements of the department's quality assurance review process.
The Anesthesiologist Assistant may be assigned to work in any of the UCHSC affiliated hospitals to include University of Colorado Hospital and affiliates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Anesthesiologist Assistant must have a strong working and theoretical knowledge of Anesthesia. Experience in teaching Anesthesia is desirable.
1. The anesthesiologist assistant is to work collaboratively with all members of the anesthesia department, as well as nursing and physician staff in the operating room, pre and post anesthesia areas, labor and delivery areas and other out of OR locations where our services are requested. The anesthesiologist assistant is expected to comply with all departmental policies and procedures.
2. The anesthesiologist assistant is to be prepared as scheduled, to start the morning cases, and expedite the continuity of cases in their assigned room for the day.
3. The anesthesiologist assistant, in accordance with the team concept approach to patient care with their attending anesthesiologist, will perform an appropriate pre-anesthetic evaluation, and formulate an anesthesia plan. This pre-operative anesthesia evaluation obtained from the patient and medical records should include all pertinent data that could affect the outcome of a safe anesthetic.
4. The anesthesiologist assistant will provide a safe operating room environment for the patient. The administration of anesthesia will be conducted by the anesthetist assistant under the supervision of an attending anesthesiologist, with appropriate and timely updates during the course of the anesthetic.
5. The anesthesiologist assistant will provide appropriate intra-operative and post-operative assessment of the patient to the attending anesthesiologist.
6. The anesthesiologist assistant will deliver the patient safely to the post anesthesia care unit and provide a brief report of the anesthesia care given, to the PACU nurse that will provide care to the patient.
7. The anesthesiologist assistant, within 48 hours of completion of an anesthetic, may review the post operative course of that patient, write an update progress note in the patient's chart, and relay all pertinent information concerning the patient to the attending anesthesiologist that was in charge for that patient's care.
8. The anesthesiologist assistant will record appropriate events during the course of the anesthetic on the anesthesia record, including vital signs, drugs dispensed, and invasive procedures performed according to the established documentation guidelines.
9. Departmental requirements for billing purposes will be observed.
10. Required clinical quality assurance reporting forms will be submitted.
11. The anesthesiologist assistant may be required to perform these services in the operating room, in the labor and delivery areas, in radiology, and in some special procedure areas. Except in specific emergency situations, the administration of anesthesia is limited to areas where anesthesia can be given safely. One or more attendings will be available at all times to provide these services.
Additional Contributions as Faculty Members
- Supports Department's needs and goals.
- Community service furthering the Department's image.
- Scholarly activity and research endeavors by individual arrangements and with prior approval.
- Assigned or requested administrative services in billing or scheduling.
Successful completion of an accredited anesthetist educational program. Active certification by the council on accreditation of the American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants Association with ongoing re-certification as required (currently every two years).
Required Skills and Character Attributes
- Possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, their families, and other members of the health care team and uses appropriate lines of communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, nurses, and other hospital employees in the workplace.
- Ability to recognize self-limitations and request assistance if necessary.
- Self-directs in contributing to meeting the Department's expectations of the anesthetists as a group and maintaining the necessary requirements for re-credentialing, re-certification (CME credits).
- Honest and ethical
- Reliable, conscientious and responsible
- Able to learn from experience
- Able to react to stressful situations in an appropriate manner
- Maintains proper professional decorum
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:05870
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20138 - SOM-Anesthesiology
Posting Date: Jul 20, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tasha Mitchell
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00726316