University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
CU Innovations/Tech Transfer
Position #663741 - Requisition 08020
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
CU Innovations/Tech Transfer has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Licensing Manager position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Licensing Manager works directly with faculty to identify intellectual property assets and create strategies for their protection and transition to practice. The Licensing Manager's primary function is the management of a portfolio of university intellectual property in the life sciences disciplines. Portfolio management includes understanding and assessing the intellectual assets in a faculty member's lab, whether patentable or not, encouraging disclosure of new ideas, inventions and other intellectual assets to the University; assessing new inventions for technical merit, patentability, and commercial feasibility; overseeing the filing and prosecution of patent applications where appropriate; identifying and communicating with potential licensees and marketing technologies to industry; and negotiating, drafting and enforcing option, license, inter-institutional and other agreements.
Importantly, the Licensing Manager must have the confidence and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with very senior, high-level faculty and licensing staff at other institutions and in the business community. The Licensing Manager needs an entrepreneurial mindset, and the ability to work well in teams. Licensing Managers are also involved in soliciting and evaluating proposals for proof of concept funding, and may assist in the formation of new business opportunities (start-ups) arising from University intellectual property.
In addition, the Licensing Managers organize educational programs for faculty, inventors, and entrepreneurs and serve as liaisons to the business community. They provide information and advice to investigators, students, and other campus staff on matters involving intellectual property policies, procedures and decisions; confer with campus administrative staff and investigators on intellectual property protection and licensing; coordinate procedures to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, laws, university and state policies, and all contractual obligations.
The ability to use a variety of communications and computer database tools to track and convey issues and decisions about invention disclosures, patent applications, patent prosecution, patent issuance and maintenance, and all contractual agreements and financial arrangements related to a particular technology is a must.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in biological or chemical sciences or a directly related field, as well as a business, business administration, and/or law degree from an accredited institution.
- This position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for technology transfer or business development, including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of business contracts.
- A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the relevant degree on a year for year basis.
- Graduate degree, preferably a Ph.D., from an accredited institution of higher education in biological or chemical sciences or a directly related field, as well as a law and/or business degree.
- At least 5 years of post-graduate professional experience in intellectual property, technology transfer, business development, or R&D preferably in the area of therapeutics.
- At least 5 years of post-graduate professional experience with technology transfer, legal, or business development, including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of business contracts.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Ability to negotiate effectively while maintaining relationships.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work well in teams.
- High emotional intelligence.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Sample Name at Sample@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on 1/9/2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21705 - ADM-CHAN Anschutz Tech Transfe
Posting Date: Jan 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Trudy Boudreau
Posting Contact Email: Trudy.email@example.com
Position Number: 00663741