* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Health Data Compass
Position #00731695 - Requisition 08393
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Health Data Compass is a new enterprise health data warehouse on the Anschutz Medical Campus of the University of Colorado Denver in Aurora, CO. Our team is implementing a data integration and analytics platform to support clinical and translational healthcare research across the CU research enterprise, to promote operational excellence within our partner hospitals, and to drive innovation and discovery in the field of personalized medicine. We are jointly sponsored by the University of Colorado, University Physicians, Inc., University of Colorado Health, and Children's Hospital Colorado. This full-time, University Staff (non classified) BI Developer position is responsible to design and develop reports, dashboards, data extracts, and visualizations from across a variety of healthcare and biomedical research data domains. Our primary reporting platforms are custom reports, including Excel, and Tableau, but we anticipate the use of other technologies for visualization and analysis, such as R or Python. In addition, this person will participate in the design of the dimensional models behind these outputs. The BI developer will be a key member of our strong, highly collaborative team, working with customers, analysts, and other technical personnel throughout all phases of the software development lifecycle.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Develops efficient SQL queries and designs algorithms to extract data from cloud-based data warehouses like Google BigQuery, and/or relational databases like SQL Server. (40%)
- Formats result datasets to follow standard data input process for reporting platforms. (10%)
- Designs and develops data visualization products using Tableau Desktop, R, SAS, and other tools. (10%)
- Validates and tests output result accuracy; performs code review, data product user-acceptance testing, and other related testing. (10%)
- Profiles and understands enterprise data warehouses in order to answer research-based questions. (10%)
- Creates and/or maintains documentation for query design, report definition, data mappings, code review logs, validation results, etc. (5%)
- Manages incidents and resolves problems with thorough analysis, troubleshooting and validation techniques. (5%)
- Helps drive technical strategies in support of the overall program. (5%)
- Works closely with others on the technical team to collaborate, design, problem solve and troubleshoot. (5%)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position begins at $57,083 up to an approved budget cap and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, Biosciences or related field.
- 2+ years of industry experience working as a BI developer, data analyst or report writer.
- 2+ years of experience developing SQL queries to extract data from relational databases, such as SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
- Master's degree or related experience
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience with a variety of healthcare and biomedical research data domains, like EMR data in EPIC Caboodle, OMOP, and a variety of other healthcare data models,
- Experience with a variety of BI tools, e.g., Business Objects, Tableau
- Experience with analytical tools and methods, e.g., R, SAS, Python.
- Experience with data warehouses hosted on cloud platforms, such as Google Cloud, AWS, etc.
- Experience with Genomics data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to excel in an integrated environment, working closely with various IT, business, and user teams to accomplish objectives.
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases, OLAP query tools, data mining, data structure, and data manipulation techniques.
- Advanced level of knowledge of SQL and Transact-SQL.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop and validate BI outputs using Tableau or a similar tool, with thorough understanding of metadata layers and user interactivity.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and resolve bugs relating to data accuracy, usability, and performance issues.
- Direct experience with large data warehouses.
- Ability to analyze clinical and business source systems on a variety of platforms.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Donna Brown at Donna.Brown@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 21538 - ADM-VCHA-BIPM Compass
Posting Date: Feb 15, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Donna Brown
Posting Contact Email: Donna.Brown@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00731695