University of Colorado - College of Nursing
The Clinical Education Center has an opening for a full-time Instructor position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing is seeking nominations and applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) faculty position to teach in the Clinical Education Center and Simulation. This is an entry faculty position with rank as Instructor or Senior Instructor, depending on experience. This position provides expertise essential for the integration and operation of the learning laboratory and classrooms where students engage in the practice of nursing skills and theory applications for the College of Nursing, located on the Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, Colorado.
This faculty position reports to the Clinical Education Center and Simulation Director. This role is a member of the simulation teaching team, teaching in an integrated curriculum with a focus on teaching students skill building and knowledge application through the use of simulation. Some weekends and evenings will be required to meet the demands of clinical teaching. Availability and motivation for formal initial training and ongoing self-directed learning will be required. Maintaining clinical competence through ongoing engagement in direct patient care through faculty practice is also an expectation.
Faculty role focuses on:
- Introducing students to skills needed to succeed in a progressive teaching and learning environment that incorporates ongoing innovative strategies for competency development.
- Instructing and facilitating student learning primarily related to health assessment, fundamentals, and medical-surgical nursing, and serving as a resource to faculty implementing simulation in pediatrics, public health nursing, and other clinical specialty areas.
- Evaluating student application of knowledge.
- Expert clinicians bringing best practices to the educational environment.
- Demonstrating basic skills in operating the educational technology tools. Availability and motivation for formal initial training and ongoing self-directed learning will be required.
- Maintaining clinical expertise through ongoing engagement in direct patient care.
- Service to the CON community.
Examples of work performed:
The specific role responsibilities of the Clinical Education Faculty Instructor are to:
- Develop strategies for student orientation to educational technology used within the clinical education lab.
- Orient students to the purpose and expectations of the clinical education lab and practice experiences, using educational resources and technology to promote accountability, competency development and critical thinking skills.
- Development of educational technology, task training devices, and computer assisted instructional tools in the skills laboratory and classroom settings for teaching, learning, practice, and assessment of clinical competencies.
- Facilitate student learning in direct care environments (such as clinical rotations) that serve as an extension of the lab experience.
- Work with interdisciplinary partners in implementation of shared plans for use of educational technology tools across programs and disciplines.
- Monitor the usage patterns and provide recommendations for maximizing use of educational technology tools and learning lab resources.
- Introduce students to the purpose and expectations of the simulation case scenarios and practice experiences, using educational technology to promote competency development and critical thinking skills.
- Promote accountability among students by implementing clear guidelines and expectations for preparation, engagement, and self-directed study/practice.
- Master of Science degree in Nursing with current certification in specialty area
- Demonstrated current clinical competence (minimum of two years professional nursing experience)
- Recent and relevant formal or informal teaching experience
- Using educational technology (task trainers, simulation, web-based learning)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Current clinical practice
- Clinical expertise in OB
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:When applying online applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications; 2. a current CV/resume; 3. the names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references; 4. current Colorado nursing licensure (attached under additional attachments). For more information or questions, please contact Brandy Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Feb 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Brandy Campbell
Posting Contact Email: Brandy.Campbell@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00647823