Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The Lab of Katharine Smith in the Department of Pharmacology is seeking a Professional Research Assistant.
Maintaining the correct balance between excitation and inhibition (E/I balance) in the frontal cortex is essential for information processing. Disruption of this critical balance is thought to contribute to the pathology of neuropsychiatric diseases such as autism spectrum disorders and schizophrenia, in addition to epilepsy and ischemia. Our laboratory is interested in understanding the coordination of excitatory and inhibitory synapses in dendrites and how this maintains correct excitability of the neuron, both during plasticity and pathogenesis. We employ a variety of advanced imaging techniques (including live and super-resolution microscopy), biochemistry and electrophysiology to determine mechanisms of cross-talk between excitatory and inhibitory synapses. Of particular interest are neuropsychiatric disease risk molecules with synaptic functions and links to E/I balance.
Examples of Work Performed:
Preparation of primary neuron culture
Basic molecular biology (work with recombinant DNA, cell transfections/transformations)
Biochemistry techniques, SDS-PAGE and western blotting
Microscopy and fluorescent imaging techniques
Preparation of common laboratory reagents
Participate and contribute to lab meetings, journal clubs and department seminars
Conduct experiments as related to the research project
Establish and Maintain lab organization
Oversee and help maintain laboratory protocols
Place and track laboratory orders
- Bachelor's degree in biology, molecular biology, genetics or a related field.
- Previous laboratory experience.
- Experience with tissue culture, molecular biology and/or microscopy would be preferred
- We seek a bright, organized, energetic and motivated individual who is interested in exploring the very exciting science behind synaptic transmission and E/I balance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required.
- The applicant should be open and eager to learn new experimental techniques.
- Ability to work as a member in a cohesive group.
- Position requires a 2 year commitment
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8302
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Mar 3, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00731493