May be expected to work various shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
Scope of Responsibility:
The purpose of the UCCS Food Service Cook 1 is to prepare quality food for the resident dining community and catering through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, and services in a sanitary and safe environment according to UCCS Dining and Food Services specifications.
This position is expected to maintain collegial relationships with all campus constituents including faculty, staff and students. The position works closely with all staff and student staff in the residential food operations.
• Take orders and provide patrons quick and courteous service.
• Prepare customer's order using the proper recipe, portion and technique.
• Follow proper cooking, storage, and food handling techniques as trained.
• Prepare and cook food at a variety of platforms including breakfast, salad bar, deli, grill, pizza, dinner entrees and catering events as assigned.
• Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly work environment at all times.
• Complete training on all pieces of equipment prior to use.
• Assemble, disassemble, and clean kitchen equipment.
• Assist in all phases of set up, service and clean up in operation as needed.
• May assist in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and inventory.
• Position may be assigned as "Essential Services Designation" - meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Engage regardless of ethnic, racial, political, gender, religious, intellectual background
• Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
• Customer service concepts and techniques to meet or exceed customer need and expectations
• Skill in preparing foods and desserts
• Safe and proper use of materials and equipment used in dining or food service facility
• Any combination of education, training, and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge and skill to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
• Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift up to 60 pounds when storing, stocking and gathering prepared products and/or inventory items.
• Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
• Requires the safe and efficient use of food service equipment such as ovens, grills, food choppers and processors, steamers, slicers, etc., as well as understanding the proper way to clean food service equipment.
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be nonexempt from (eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Hourly Pay Rate: $9.74 to $11 an hour
Leave will accrue based on percentage of time worked. For example an employee who works an average of 6 hours a day will accrue 11 hours of vacation a month.
Employees are expected to work between 32-40 hours a week during the fall and spring semesters. Vacation will not be granted during the fall and spring semesters and must be taken during the summer semester or during breaks between semesters. Management may assign vacation time based on work needs of unit. University holidays are considered floating holidays and are assigned by Management. Employees in this position are paid monthly, on the last working day of the month with the exception of June which is paid on the first working day of July.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
• No less than 2 years' experience in food preparation and service.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• ServSafe certification training will provided upon employment. A passing score must be obtained to progress to any culinary supervisor position within Dining Services.
• Demonstrated knowledge of food preparation and presentation.
• Friendly disposition with effective customer relations skills with ability to work with a varied clientele is imperative.
• Must be able to communicate effectively.
• Colorado Driver's License - Regular
• Experience in the training and/or supervision of staff.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Position is open until filled. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - UCCS Dining and Food Services
Posting Date: Feb 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joel Bagley
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00001890