Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery has an opening for a full time Professional Research Assistant to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. This PRA position entails working with the Principal Investigator, Timothy Crombleholme, MD. Dr. Crombleholme's research focuses on regenerative and fetal biology. With the unique ability of fetal skin to heal scar-lessly, the regenerative biology of the scar-less healing creates a novel potential therapy for wound healing. Additionally, Dr. Crombleholme's laboratory studies Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1) as a therapeutic target to correct the outcomes of Intrauterine Growth Restriction, or IUGR, a disease that leads to a predisposition for obesity, diabetes, and hypertension later in life. Using a rat and/or mouse model, Dr. Crombleholme's laboratory has demonstrated that IGF-1 can be used to completely reprogram the fetus and reverse the effects of IUGR in the cardiovascular and metabolic systems.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
80% of Time:
- Performing molecular biology techniques:
- Western Blots
- Real Time PCR
- DNA and RNA preparation from cells tissue specimens
- Histological Analyses
- DNA/RNA Manipulations
- Tissue Culture
- Working with a murine model. Will be assisting with strain development and breeding colonies
- Performing mouse surgeries and assisting in other animal surgeries as needed.
- Assist in collected human sample if applicable
- Acquiring and analyzing experimental data
- Maintaining electronic records of experimental data
- Mentor residents and graduate students projects
20% of Time:
- Serve as laboratory contact for operational departments such as EH&S, IACUC, OLAR, facilities, etc
- Work with Research Coordinator to maintain laboratory operations
- Stocking Supplies
- Stocking reagents
- Equipment repair and preventative maintenance
- Order requests and invoices
- Maintain Crombleholme laboratory records and inventories
- Work closely with other laboratories within the Division of Pediatric Surgery to maintain collaborative efforts between all laboratories.
- Participate in weekly laboratory meetings with Crombleholme and Dodson laboratories. This will include presenting analyzed data and discussing future downstream experiments.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field
- Understanding of scientific theory and hypothesis-driven research
- Ability to work with animal model
- Ability to work well in the team environment
- Basic understanding of the mechanics of a well-functioning research laboratory
- Previous experience in a basic science laboratory
- Previous experience with animal husbandry
- Experience performing basic molecular biology techniques such as western blots, real time PCR, DNA and RNA isolation, immunohistochemistry, etc.
Condition of Employment: Must successfully pass a drug test and have current immunizations through Children's Hospital Colorado.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $34,000-$45,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:This position will be posted until filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 7377
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20324 - SOM-SRG-PEDS Clinical
Posting Date: Nov 28, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kerri York
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00050053