Part-Time English Language Specialist
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER
Office of International Affairs - ESL Academy
Part-Time English Language Specialist
Position #696345 / Requisition 03453
This part-time, University Staff (unclassified) position teaches intensive English classes in all skill areas to non-native English speaking college-bound students. This position may also substitute teach in classes as needed. This position is paid hourly per classroom contact hour and will also receive additional compensation for planning and prep time, grading, and office hours. Assignments are dependent upon student enrollment targets. Only local candidates will be considered.
Examples of Work Performed:
- During instructional weeks, teach one to two classes per term or special session
- Deliver and tailor instruction to a variety of language and cultural backgrounds in accordance with prescribed curricular objectives and outcomes
- Substitute teach as needed
- Participate in staff meetings
- Hold at least one office hour per course allocation per week
- Prepare for each class ahead of time
- Assess student progress according to curricular objectives and outcomes
- Adhere to program policies and procedures by reporting student offenses (plagiarism, cheating, absences, speaking a language other than English inside the Academy, etc.)
- During class, take student attendance, assign homework and clarify daily course objectives
- Collaborate with other English Language Specialists
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or related field.
- One to three years teaching in an intensive/academic English program setting.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to teach a broad variety of ESL skill areas and proficiency levels.
- Experience using technology in pedagogy.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience teaching English abroad.
- Experience in: curriculum construction, assessment, accent modification or managing student activities.
- Experience coordinating placement and end-of-term proficiency testing.
- Three to five years of full time teaching experience in an intensive English program setting.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Work well independently and on a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. Questions should be directed to Marcel Bolintiam at Tamara.Carlin@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies in the department. Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, reference Requisition 03453. The Search Committee reviews applications and interviews on an as-needed basis, usually from term to term, depending on enrollment. Applications will remain on file until the hiring department has an immediate need to review applications.. Screening and interviews can be conducted at any point in time as the hiring department desires. Applications will remain on file for up to one year. Once a screening has occurred, applicants will be notified of their status.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30053 - AVCASA-OIA Intl Education
Posting Date: Jan 26, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tamara Carlin
Posting Contact Email: Tamara.Carlin@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00696345