Professional Research Asst
CIRES/SWPC Research Associate
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) is seeking a full-time Research Associate to work with the Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC), part of the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to d evelop, transition and maintain operational software systems critical to the Space Weather Prediction Center and its customers
Collaborate with Agile team members as well as stakeholders to define and refine system requirements. Design and implement software systems using best practices in place at SWPC including, but not limited to: Source Code Management; code reviews; documentation, formalized development, testing, staging and deployment; configuration management; security considerations; established system baselines; and integration into system monitor software.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field.
• At least 2 years' experience developing software in a fast-paced Agile environment
• Experience developing high-availability computer code for real-time operational systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be able to collaborate in a team environment that includes both developers and non-developers
• Must have very effective written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work with forecasters and customers who use operational products.
Code Development Methodology:
• Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
• Ability to estimate work complexity and levels of effort
• Ability to work with legacy code including reverse engineering
• Ability to switch context quickly to support operational software in the event of system problems
• Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and document complex computer codes and associated inputs and outputs.
• Ability to manage code development in a collaborative environment using tools such as Jira, Git, Jenkins, VMWare, etc.
• Understanding of formal software development, testing, deployment and maintenance lifecycle
• Experience with test-driven development
Operating Systems and Languages:
• Experience with a variety of operating systems and environments emphasizing Linux and Windows
• Background in mathematics and/or a physical science is desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - A Letter of Recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Aug 4, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00688187