Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Infectious Diseases--CHIP
Professional Research Assistant
Outreach Recruiter (part-time, 30 hours per week)
Position #728522 - Requisition #6764
The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases (CHIP), has an opening for a part-time .75% Professional Research Assistant-Outreach Recruiter to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The Children's Hospital Immunodeficiency Program (CHIP) provides comprehensive health care integrated with clinical trial participation to children, adolescents, young adults and pregnant women living with or affected by HIV. CHIP is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team including a clinical care team, psychosocial support team, research team, outreach/prevention team, and administrative support. CHIP is a study site for multi-center clinical trials from the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN), the International Maternal, Pediatric, Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT), the Pediatric AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS), as well as other federal and industry sponsored trials.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work:
- This position is the CHIP Outreach Recruiter for research protocols developed by the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN). The Outreach Recruiter will be responsible for recruiting research participants for a study examining the safety and efficacy of a long-acting injectable HIV prevention medication in HIV at-risk adolescents and young adult men who have sex with men (YMSM) and transgender women. Recruitment includes presenting the study, administering informed consent, and conducting surveys. The position will work varying hours (including evenings and weekends) at venues such as clinics, night clubs, community centers, or other venues.
- This is a part-time position. It is 30 hours per week and hours will vary.
- HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Community Outreach
- Research Program Manager, Emily Barr
- Recruitment of participants in the community
- Approach potential study participants about participating in research
- Transport study materials and data between Children's Hospital Colorado and various community venues in Denver area
- Administer informed consent to participate in the research study
- Conduct computer-based surveys and assist participants with difficulties utilizing the computer surveys
- Maintain confidentiality of study participants and data and adhere to all procedures related to the protection of subject's rights
- Distribute and document reimbursement for study participation
- Schedule participant research visits and perform reminder phone calls as needed
- Create/maintain social media presence and online advertisements
- Develop and distribute study marketing materials
- Complete study documentation as required
- Enter collected research data into the study database
- Attend all required trainings and meetings
- Complete other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $25,500 - $33,750 and is commensurate with
skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Have (or have access to) reliable transportation
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Flexibility in schedule; willing to work evenings and weekends
- Willing to travel within Denver Metro area
- Strong presentation skills
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook), internet, and social media sites
- Excellent communication skills, ability to interact in a compassionate and nonjudgmental manner with a diverse study subject population
- Comfortable approaching adolescent and young adult men who have sex with men and transgender women at random for a research study
- Ability to work independently, within a strong team environment
- Bilingual Spanish
- Previous research or outreach experience
- Experience working with databases
- Familiarity with the LGBTQ community in the Denver Metro area
- Knowledge of HIV disease and treatment
The hiring salary for this position is $25,500 - $33,750 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. If the references are not incorporated in the Resume/CV or in the application, attach as "List of References". Questions should be directed to Emily Barr at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21016 - SOM-PEDS ID-GenOps
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Emily Barr
Posting Contact Email: Emily.Barr@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00728522