Instructor of Music/Studio Trombone and Music Theory - One-year Appointment
The Department of Music is one of four academic divisions within the College of Visual and Performing Arts. The department has 18 full-time and 25 part-time faculty serving undergraduate majors and graduate students enrolled in B.A., B.M.E., M.M., and M.M.E. degree programs. Winthrop University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate applied trombone
- Direct small ensembles as appropriate to training and experience
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in music theory and aural skills as schedule permits
- Maintain an active schedule of on- and off-campus performances, master classes, etc.
- Be an active participant in local, state, regional and national professional organizations
- Fully support and participate in the recruitment program of the department
- Produce creative and scholarly activity appropriate to the field
- Assist with curriculum development, accreditation, and program planning
- Provide service to the profession in community and professional organizations
- Assume other responsibilities according to departmental needs and candidate’s qualifications
- Doctorate in trombone performance or associated area/cognate in music theory preferred (ABD candidates will be considered).
- Exceptional skills as a performer and teacher required
- At least three years of exemplary collegiate teaching experience in both trombone and music theory required
- Experience in jazz studies preferred
- Evidence of effective interpersonal skills required
- Evidence of proven success working in a team-oriented environment required
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, one-year appointment at the instructor rank with the option of summer employment if funds are available. Salary is commensurate with qualifications.
Work Environment: This position requires daily contact with students, faculty, and staff on campus. Additionally, the successful candidate will be required to have the ability to work with the outside community, local public schools, other universities, and international schools/companies/partners.
Background Check Statement: Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a student loan default check, a criminal history record check, and, when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Position Availability: August 16, 2017
Application Timeline and Procedures: Review of applicants will begin immediately – the deadline for applications is March 10. For more information, please see http://www.winthrop.edu/hr/.
- Required Materials:
Applicants should send an e-mail indicating interest in the position, and include:
- Cover Letter addressing evidence of responsibilities and qualifications indicated above
- Curriculum vitae
- Names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who know the candidate professionally
- Transcript and evidence of highest degree achieved (an unofficial copy is acceptable initially)
- All materials should be submitted electronically to:
Donald M. Rogers, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Music
129 Conservatory of Music
Rock Hill SC 29733
Telephone: 803/323-2255 Fax: 803/323-2343