Instructor, Learning Skills/Learning Disabilities Specialist
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Learning Skills Instructor/Learning Disabilities Specialist for Chabot College in Hayward.
The position assesses and determines a student’s eligibility for accommodations and services in the category of learning disability, reviews external diagnostic reports, determines eligibility and develops appropriate accommodations and methods to improve student learning for all students with disabilities, and provides specialized instruction in multidisciplinary learning. The position reports directly to the Dean of Language Arts and works closely with the Dean of Special Programs and Services and the Disabled Students Programs and Services Coordinator.
Job Title Instructor, Learning Skills/Learning Disabilities Specialist
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 2FLA11
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Language Arts
1. Teach developmental reading, writing, and math;
2. Use knowledge of contemporary methodologies of teaching reading, writing, and math, and apply these methodologies to teaching practice;
3. Use knowledge of the mission of California community colleges;
4. Administer and interpret standardized assessment instruments to determine students’ eligibility for Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS);
5. Communicate effectively in both oral and written form;
6. Teach late afternoon, evening, weekend and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment.
7. Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Minimum Qualifications for Disabled Students Programs and Services Employees (Title 5 Regulations on Minimum Qualifications, 53414, section (d)):
(1) Possession of a Master’s degree, or equivalent foreign degree, in the category of disability, special education, education, psychology, educational psychology, or rehabilitation counseling; and
(2) Fifteen semester units of upper division or graduate study in the area of disability, to include, but not be limited to:
A. Learning disabilities;
B. Developmental disabilities;
C. Deaf and hearing impaired;
D. Physical disabilities; or
E. Adapted computer technology.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 11:59:59 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2017 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Demonstrated experience teaching students with learning disabilities and other disabilities;
2. Ability to work with other faculty in collegial responsibilities;
3. Familiarity with computer-aided instruction and distance education;
4. Interest in teaching reading, writing, and math at the basic skills level for students who have transfer and/or vocational educational goals;
5. Knowledge of literature by diverse authors and about diverse people;
6. Experience teaching students to use appropriate accommodations in the classroom;
7. Successful completion of California Community College (CCC) Eligibility Model for Learning Disabilities training.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure-track, 2017-2018 Academic Year. Employment will begin on or about August 14, 2017.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F16P
Open Date 02/21/2017
Close Date 03/28/2017
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How would you guide a student who was deemed eligible for services as a student with learning disabilities through choices and pathways at Chabot toward their educational goals? Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please share with us an example of guidance you provided a student with learning disabilities from your previous experience. How does this example reflect your philosophy of teaching students with learning disabilities? Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER