Assistant to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services
University of Delaware
Job Title: Assistant to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services
Job ID: 104405
Location: Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 29E
The Assistant to the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services at the University of Delaware is a valued member within the University and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS), upholding and embracing the departmental mission of "Inspiring Greatness Together".
The Assistant provides a wide variety of professional and administrative support to the Director of DIARS. This position consistently represents the message and vision of the Athletic Director in his/her communication, often communicating on behalf of the Athletic Director, under the direction of and in collaboration with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management provides counsel to the Athletic Director, and carries forth the mission of the Department. This position uses strategic thought to leverage the time management of the Athletic Directorwith efficient meeting planning and execution within a complex network. The incumbent is responsible to take initiative to recognize the needs of the Athletic Director and proactively make sound decisions as they arise. This person works closely with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management to strategize and carry out this support to the Athletic Director while also providing this executive and the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Sport Performance support through calendar management and expense/reimbursement reconciliation. Additionally, the incumbent collaborates on team-wide initiatives including team meeting planning, project management and office administration.
This position will serve as an integral athletic administrator and member of the DIARS Project Management Team which prioritizes collaboration and communication in order to achieve the highest levels of both efficiency and effectiveness. The purpose of this team is to connect, inspire and engage the DIARS community to support and enhance the DIARS through a unified voice.
• Administration Leadership and Management (50%)
• Builds strong relationships with both internal and external constituents to maintain a positive public image for the Department and University.
• Responsible for managing and leveraging the Athletic Director's calendar in conjunction with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management, including all scheduling, prioritizing meeting times and dates, and choosing attendees to ensure appropriate parties are present
• Prepares daily folders and meeting materials for the Athletic Director by determining appropriate items for inclusion, anticipating needs and providing appropriate follow-up.
• Schedules highly complex meetings, often with Sr. Leadership positions, interviews and conference calls for the Athletic Director, anticipating needs, and exercising discretion and judgment regarding priorities.
• Coordinates intricate travel arrangements, including preparation of materials and follow-up, budget and expense reporting.
• Complete and submit monthly expenses for supported parties.
• Organizes and distributes materials and collateral for meetings, presentations, interviews, cultivation activities and events.
• Establishes and maintains effective office systems and procedures to handle a large quantity of complex data and communications. Manages and organizes all Athletic Director files.
• Manages the phone lines and voicemail for the Athletic Director and provides exceptional customer service.
• Supports the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management in planning and executing the DIARS and Leadership team meetings and team retreats, including scheduling venues and presenters.
• Provides team-wide support as needed for planning, coordination, and implementation of special events such as football games, hospitality functions, and special events.
• Keeps Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management abreast of potential conflicts or significant changes to schedules, meetings, events.
• Manage incoming and outgoing mail for the Athletic Director, Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management, and Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Sport Performance.
• Provide calendar support and expense/reimbursement reconciliation to Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management, and Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Sport Performance.
Communication and Strategy (35%)
• In partnership with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management and Sr. Associate Athletic Director for External Relations, coordinates internal and external communications.
• Operates with a high level of thought and strategy to create presentations for conferences, off-sites, and internal meetings, including writing content, creating graphics, and working with internal subject matter experts to add content, often collaborating with Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management for final delivery of product.
• Responds and acts on behalf of the Athletic Director by handling phone and email inquiries of a highly sensitive and confidential nature with tact and diplomacy. Provides timely responses and directs matters to appropriate individuals for action.
• Responsible for managing email for the Athletic Director and general email inbox responding and triaging when appropriate, acting on her behalf with tact and diplomacy.
• As directed by the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management, represents the Athletic Director at internal and external meetings to gather information as needed.
• Works with Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management and Sr. Associate Athletic Director for External Relations to prepare Athletic Director by producing presentations, talking points for speaking engagements, documents, briefing papers, reports, etc.
• Organizes and attends meetings and works with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management to ensure the Athletic Director is well prepared for important meetings and presentations.
• Acts as informed deputy in dealing with clients and other persons whose good will and respect are of critical importance to those supported and the department and university.
• In collaboration with Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives, assist in management DIARS goals process. Maintain master goals document, track team updates, update and proof master goals document quarterly. Assist in preparing annual departmental document.
• In partnership with the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives, serves as a point of contact for Board events and Board inquiries.
• Project Coordination and Leadership (15%)
• Works in partnership with the DIARS Project Management team to set team priorities and execute team strategy.
• Collaborates on a variety of projects to deliver process improvement and increased efficiencies for team-wide implementation.
• Directs team-wide administrative needs and office management.
• Represents the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Talent Management as needed at internal and external meetings to gather background information.
• Builds and sustains relationships with a wide variety of constituents across the Athletic Department and across the University.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Travel: Travel does not apply to this position
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
• The ideal candidate will have a passion for and an understanding of university athletics with both a specific interest in the development of collegiate student-athletes and experience working in an athletic department. The person will also be adept at strategic thinking, use of technology to solve problems, cross-team collaboration and execution, and possess exceptional communication skills. He or she will possess superior attention to detail, strong organizational skills and have the ability to meet deadlines while addressing multiple requests.
• Bachelor's degree and minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience or a combination of education and experience in athletic administration and business.
• Willingness to take risks and challenge assumptions.
• Ability to develop and initiate new strategies, create business processes and systems, and use technology to solve problems and manage projects.
• Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans, exercising sound judgement and handling emergencies when necessary.
• Results and detail-oriented, highly organized and in possession of strong anticipatory instincts and excellent follow through.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to draft letters for others, create high-level presentations, briefing papers, and data driven reports.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and effectively develop relationships that enhance overall departmental and university wide goals.
• Demonstrated expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Google Products including Google Docs.
• Experience working in a team environment.
• Highly motivated and capable of seeing projects through from beginning to end.
• Detail- and results-oriented, highly organized, in possession of strong anticipatory instincts with excellent follow through.
• Solid analytical and strategic thinking skills.
• Sound judgment and mature leadership qualities that involve a high-level of confidentiality and discretion.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, high-pressure environment under multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work autonomously as well as to take direction as needed.
• Exceptional ability to work in a networked way, emphasizing collaboration in a complex environment.
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of material that is frequently sensitive in nature.
• Experience in higher education administration or equivalent.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html