Dean - School of Arts and Sciences
Dean – School of Arts & Sciences
The American University in Dubai invites qualified applicants for the position of Dean – School of Arts and Sciences. The start date for this position will be Fall (August) 2017.
The mission of the School of Arts and Sciences (SoAS) is to foster a culture of independent thought and a tradition of academic programs, curricula and external learning opportunities, featuring an interdisciplinary perspective of knowledge and emphasizing collegial interactions between faculty and students. Besides offering the Arts and Sciences Core which is a required component of all of AUD’s undergraduate degree programs, the SoAS offers an interdisciplinary Bachelor of Arts in International Studies program with minors in History, Humanities, Literature, Middle Eastern Studies, Politics, Social Sciences and Mathematics. Additionally, the school offers an undergraduate Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies.
As the chief academic and administrative officer of the School of Arts and Sciences, the Dean will lead the School of Arts and Sciences in an ongoing process of charting its future course, formulating its mission and objectives consistent with those of AUD, and developing and implementing strategic as well as short-term plans for achieving these objectives.
The successful candidate will have:
- An earned doctoral degree in an arts or a sciences, humanities, social sciences or related discipline, from a Western accredited/recognized university.
- Commitment to the principles of the liberal arts education model and to excellence in education.
- Strong leadership and managerial qualities and a proven track record in academic administration.
- Proven track record and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Experience in leading the curriculum development process.
- A proven track record of scholarly output and productivity.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in outcomes assessment and accreditation processes.
- Significant international and multicultural exposure.
- Self-initiative and a goal orientation with a sense of time and task commitments.
- Excellent “people skills” and ability to lead a team of educators in widely diverse disciplines effectively.
- Ability to motivate faculty and students to maintain and enhance the quality of teaching and learning.
- Ability to "network" in the local, regional and international academic and professional communities.
The compensation package for this position is competitive and is based on the expatriate model. Besides tax-exempt basic salary, it includes housing, annual two-way airfare, health / life insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, assistance with children's tuition, and other components.
The American University in Dubai is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher learning founded in 1995. It serves UAE nationals and international students who seek world-class career-oriented education. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for an international education.
Applications will be accepted and evaluated until this position is filled.
Interested applicants must submit the following requirements via email to email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Updated CV
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Contact information of three (3) academic/professional references
Alternatively, applicants can submit their application materials to the following postal address:
The American University in Dubai
P.O. Box 28282, Dubai, U.A.E.
No telephone calls please.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.