HVAC Mechanical Engineer
Requisition # 2016-7034
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Date Posted 12/5/2016
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), a world-renowned fusion energy research center under contract with the U.S. Department of Energy, has the following opening. PPPL is seeking the services of a Mechanical Engineer with experience in HVAC, Water Systems, Controls and Facilities Design. Candidates should also have experience in Chiller Plant and Boiler operations and supervising the engineering/construction of projects. Candidate will be responsible for the design, construction and commissioning of HVAC systems for Commercial, Institutional Data Centers and other related type facilities.
Candidate must be able to:
- Perform building heating and cooling calculations,
- Perform air flow duct and pressure drop calculations.
- Perform system sizing calculations.
- Evaluate and provide engineering direction to maintain existing equipment including the preparation of operating and maintenance procedures.
- Prepare Contract Documents (Statements of Work), drawings, and detailed specifications
- Sufficiently strong knowledge of HVAC systems to develop, present and defend HVAC designs during Peer, Preliminary and Final design reviews.
- Prepare Technical reports using detailed analysis to draw technical conclusions.
- Prepare Design and construction cost estimates based upon industry standards (e.g. RS MEANS)
- Work with Multi-discipline Project teams either as the lead engineer or to support teams consisting of Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection disciplines.
- Manage Projects, have experience dealing with customers and eliciting project requirements, working with subcontractors, resolving conflicts, and obtaining consensus among stakeholders. Possess knowledge of construction standards, ASHRAE standards, and typical construction techniques.
- Knowledge of building mechanical systems, building envelope design and maintenance of equipment is required.
- Ability to read and understand P&ID's, control strategies and development of control schematics based upon the documents.
- Mentor and train entry level Mechanical engineers.
- Ability to work independently to complete routine tasks.
The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a BSME (advanced degree preferred) with a minimum of 5 years of experience working with HVAC and Utility (Cooling Water, Chilled Water) projects.
Position will be a Princeton Technical Representative, responsible for ensuring contractors perform construction according to contract documents and to quality standards.
Superior communication skills, both written and oral are essential, must be self-motivated and have a proactive approach to solving programs, excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and AutoCAD. A valid driver license is required. Knowledge of Department of Energy, and General Service Administration (GSA) regulations is desired.
The successful candidate should have the ability to lift 50 pounds, have the ability to work in confined spaces and from elevated platforms, scaffolding and ladders.
Candidate should be a member of ASHRAE.
LEEP AP credentials and knowledge of Revit is a plus.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us!
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.