Director for the Munn Center for Rhetoric and Communication
St. Lawrence University seeks a Director for the Munn Center for Rhetoric and Communication. Colloquially known as the WORD Studio (an acronym for Writing, Oral communication, Research, & Design), the Munn Center provides peer-tutoring services to students seeking to improve their oral, written, and visual communication skills. This is a 10-month, potentially renewable, academic support position.
- Teaching two sections of the course that trains the students who serve as peer mentors in the WORD Studio (1 course per semester);
- Hiring, supervising, and providing ongoing training for peer mentors in the WORD Studio;
- Working with the Associate Dean for Academic Advising Programs to oversee the University's writing competency requirement;
- Carrying out ongoing assessment of the work of the WORD Studio, as well as assisting the University's Assessment Committee in projects related to the assessment of students' written communication skills;
- Offering workshops on various aspects of writing that faculty teaching in the First Year Program can integrate into their courses;
- Working with the Faculty Development Committee, the Associate Dean of the First Year Program, & the Director of the Rhetoric and Communication Program to mount faculty development efforts focused on writing.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate experience and excellence in the following areas: working in/supervising a communication center; training peer mentors; planning and implementing faculty development programs; and assessment of student writing. PhD. in rhetoric/composition studies preferred.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Located at 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY, St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students from more than 40 states and 40 nations. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global.
The University is committed to and seeks diversity among its faculty, staff and students. Such a commitment ensures an atmosphere that is diverse and complex in ways that are intellectually and socially enriching for the entire campus community. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups, as well as from individuals with experience teaching or working in a multicultural environment, are encouraged. St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.