Research Specialist I (Lab)
Requisition # 2017-7119
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 1/25/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Princeton University Department of Geosciences seeks to hire a full time Research Specialist for the microbial biogeochemistry laboratory of Professor Xinning Zhang. Interested individuals are invited to submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter which includes career goals, and contact information for 3 references.
- Maintaining lab operations on a daily, weekly and monthly basis;
- Monitoring and assessing consumables inventory and ordering supplies as needed;
- Culture collection maintenance, sample processing and analysis;
- Assessing and maintaining equipment: performing minor maintenance on the mass spectrometers (IRMS, LC-MS, GC-MS) and managing major maintenance activities with contracted technicians and specialists;
- Training and supervising all lab users, including postdocs, visitors, graduate students and undergraduates, with a particular focus on supporting and assisting undergraduates with their research projects;
- Scheduling equipment time and maintaining the lab calendar; and
- Developing standard operating procedures for lab instrumentation; and modifying these procedures as appropriate.
Lab instrumentation includes: Thermo Fisher irmGC/MS system, Isoprime Elementar Vario EA-IRMS, Thermo Trace GC - FID/MS, Agilent 6120 LC-MS, JASCO HPLC, UV-VIS spectrophotometer, Biotek Synergy plate reader, standard molecular biology and cell culture equipment.
A bachelor's degree in microbiology, chemistry, geoscience, or a related field. Some laboratory experience is required. Candidates with IRMS, LC-MS, and GC-MS experience are preferred. This is a one year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and available funding.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
Subject to renewal based on performance and available funding.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.