I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
A position is available for a Postdoctoral Scientist in the laboratory of Dr. Katherine Chiappinelli, Ph. D. at the George Washington Cancer Center (https://smhs.gwu.edu/cancercenter/) in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology, & Tropical Medicine (https://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/) at George Washington University. Dr. Chiappinelli’s laboratory focuses on the epigenetic control of gene expression in cancer, specifically of immune signaling in and from tumor cells. Our goal is to use epigenetic therapies to harness the power of the immune system to fight cancer. This position will assist in design, evaluation, and conducting experiments and research while receiving advanced training from the Principal Investigator to enhance professional skills and research independence.
• Designs, evaluates and conducts experiments
• Assist in the development of new ideas that promote current research
• Prepares and publishes scientific manuscripts
• Assist with grant writing
• Works closely with students and supervise research staff as necessary
• Operates specific equipment and train other laboratory personnel
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Require’s a PhD in the field or in a related area.Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Impeccable aseptic technique and strong molecular biology skills (basic tissue culture, PCR, molecular cloning, RNA extraction and analysis).
• Experience in one or more of the following areas: biochemistry (protein purification and analysis, in vitro assays, etc.), genetics (genetic manipulation through CRISPR knockout, shRNA knockdown, etc.), gene expression and bioinformatics (analysis of local and global gene expression data), and cell biology (fluorescence microscopy, flow-cytometry, etc)
• Experience working with laboratory animals is preferred.
• Ability to prepare research for publication and present at scientific meetings.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: RP000199 Job Open Date: 12/19/2016 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter