Assistant Director Academic Advising Center
Scope of Job
Provide daily direction and oversight for assigned area and programs in absence of director or associate directors. Responsible for the daily academic advising relations, issues, social media relations and peer advisor program to ensure the highest level of student support combined with strict federal, state and institutional compliance in the area of academic advising.
Description of Duties
• Manages assigned day to day functions of the Academic Advising Center.
• Responsible for development of department plans/procedures such as academic advising campaigns, calendars, workflows, processes, and project plans with department leadership.
• Acts on behalf of the department lead in the absence of the Director or Associate Director.
• Monitors budget expenditures to ensure compliance.
• Supervises, trains, and evaluates a number of assigned staff.
• Manages all content creation and dissemination for all official Academic Advising Center websites and social media channels to ensure content is fresh, engaging, and interactive.
• Monitors the social media discussions taking place among Academic Advising Center audiences and provides feedback, when necessary, and reports on trends and insights to the conversations.
• Coordinates with the training area to assess development needs and conduct training for Front Counter or Call Center Staff.
• Develops, prepares, and presents recap reports and online analytics reports for all social channels, website, email, phone, chat and other communication mediums.
• Administers, coordinates and manages activities involved in assigned programs and/or projects and develops and implements standards for attainment of program goals and objectives.
• Maintains general knowledge of multiple undergraduate academic programs of study and responds to customer inquiries regarding university and academic forms, records, policies, and procedures.
• Continuously reviews assigned processes and develops improvements.
• Advises assigned student populations regarding academic advising services and programs, including but not limited to their first year advising, academic recovery programs, and second year and beyond advising and more.
• Communicates information and deadlines with staff to ensure a cohesive message and solves complex customer inquiries and deals with challenging front counter issues.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in a related field from an accredited university.
Three (3) years of experience within higher education in a student program related field, such as Academic Advising or other closely related field.
Knowledge of best practices in customer and student relations. Knowledge of best practices in academic advising and peer mentor/advisor programs.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Exceptional planning and organizational skills. Sedentary work – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.