Application Developer (Systems Programmer)
General Description of Position:
Information about the Department:
The Office of Mediated Education (OME) is dedicated to providing innovative and reliable solutions to meet the computing needs of Kansas State University in the areas of teaching and learning as well as research, technology transfer and outreach.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice president for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
- Design and develop organizational databases and applications providing easy access to information used by administration, internal and external audiences.
- Provide technical direction, detailed specifications, support, and consultation in the design, coding, testing, debugging, analyzing, and documentation of applications.
- Meet with users to assess needs and determine the scope and objectives of systems that will meet those needs within the mission and goals of the organization.
- Review existing applications to identify areas that could benefit from enhancement.
- Manage, train, supervise and evaluate student programming staff.
- Assign tasks to and review tasks performed by student programmers.
- Create an environment that fosters diversity, collegiality and ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
- Provide technical assistance in the operation of new, modified, and existing applications. Essential
- Prepare progress reports to inform administration and clients of project status. Essential
- Document system changes and operation procedures.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or an associate degree in CIS or closely related field requiring a high degree of software design and programming expertise is required.
- One year of experience required if candidate has a bachelor's degree; three years' experience required if the candidate holds an associate degree. Experience must be with software development including information architecture of web-based systems, with SQL and relational database management systems.
- A strong working knowledge of relational databases, designing database models, knowledge of systems development life cycle and accessibility standards.
- Experience with dynamic websites and familiarity with Internet Information Services (IIS) and Microsoft Active Directory.
- Candidates with mobile web development experience are highly preferred.
- Knowledge of PHP, JSON, JQuery, PhoneGap, and other mobile development technologies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A proven track record of completing projects on time.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must submit:
- A cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- The names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$55,000 - $65,000
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.