Academic Advising Manager
Under the supervision of the Academic Advising Director at Bronx Community College, the Academic Advising Manager will primarily be responsible for assisting with the implementation of a college-wide Academic Success Coaching Program designed to improve students' retention, persistence and graduation rates through close collaboration with Academic departments. This position will be responsible for the organization, leadership, management and evaluation of the support services functions of the Academic Success Center.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Academic Advising Director with the management of the day-to-day operations of the Academic Success Center.
- Organizing and facilitating ongoing training for the Academic Success Center coaching staff to ensure current and reliable information is provided to students.
- Collaborating with academic departments and other student services areas in order to enhance students' performance and retention.
- Working with existing advising structures, increasing effective use of all technology supporting academic advisement to ensure greater satisfaction with overall advisement services.
- Collaborating with the Academic Advising Director in coordinating/updating/evaluating annual calendars of activities and events, including analysis of at-risk student populations.
- Providing a link between all academic departments and the Academic Success Center by assigning Academic Success Coaches to specific student caseloads.
- Managing one or more aspects of the Academic Success Center's operations, such as targeted interventions, technology, and/or assessment.
- Collaborating with the Academic Advising Director in overseeing outcomes assessment and creating strategies to further enhance academic advisement services.
- Providing routine reports to the Dean of Academic Services and the Academic Advising Director on day-to-day activities of the Academic Success Center.
- In the absence of the Academic Advising Director, supervising the Academic Success Center Coaching staff to ensure consistency and quality with advising services delivered to the students.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required (preferably in community college student support services setting). Must have strong organizational and managerial skills; demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills; ability to work independently; strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills; experience in managing academic advising services; experience in utilizing electronic tools such as DegreeWorks and CUNYFirst (PeopleSoft); experience in conducting research data collection and reporting purposes; experience with non-academic program assessment; and experience working with diverse student populations strongly preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages the development and operations of academic counseling services.
- Develops and coordinates campus efforts to provide a comprehensive academic advisement model and protocol; assists with strategic planning
- Supervises an academic advisement center; oversees counseling activities to provide consistently reliable information to students
- Works with academic departments to develop faculty advisement components
- Collaborates with other campus offices to provide smooth and coordinated access to academic counseling services in order to enhance student performance and retention
- Develops workshops and other training to utilize advising technologies
- Oversees the development of advisement brochures and sample study programs
- Assesses academic counseling activities by tracking student progress and evaluating advisement system; recommends enhancements
- Organizes and facilitates ongoing training on use of advising technologies
- May manage professional and clerical staff; may monitor unit budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select "Employment", then select "Search Job Postings" and find JOB ID #15862. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
March 18, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Bronx Community College
Job Title: Academic Advising Manager
Job ID: 15862
Full/Part Time: Full-Time