Duties: The Sustainability Coordinator is responsible for managing programs and outreach initiatives in support of the University's Climate Action Plan 2.0. Outreach initiatives are split between student and staff / faculty engagement programs. The Sustainability Coordinator reports to the Environmental Sustainability Director and helps support other strategic initiatives as needed.
The Sustainability Coordinator position is a key member of Penn's Sustainability Office, and while the formal reporting line is to the Sustainability Director, this staff member will work closely with all three members of the Sustainability Office. The primary roles are assisting in management of a number of outreach programs, in addition to several programs in which the work will be largely independent. Key duties will include:
* Assist with coordination of Student Eco-Reps program supporting student sustainability education and behavior change projects across campus with key stakeholder groups.
* Assist with coordination of Staff & Faculty Eco-Reps program supporting sustainability education and leadership/change management workshops with representatives across various schools and centers.
* Manage the PennGreen Pre-Orientation program, a three-day immersive sustainability program prior to New Student Orientation with 40 University freshmen.
* Support Penn's annual Power Down Challenge energy conservation and awareness campaign through outreach and marketing materials, planning and facilitating events, and coordinating with University partners.
* Manage the annual ReThink your Footprint waste minimization and awareness campaign. Develop partnerships with university stakeholders to provide educational opportunities about waste minimization, develop outreach and marketing materials to engage campus.
* Support physical environmental initiatives of Penn's Climate Action Plan, such as Green Guidelines for Renovation outreach and managing the LEED Credit Bank.
**This position is for a term of two years with the potential for extension as the workload requires.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Sciences, Management, Earth Science or Planning and at least 3 years of experience strongly preferred. HS diploma and 5 to 7 years of experience in planning, environmental studies, engineering, design, or humanities or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, and written and verbal communication skills;
* Experience managing outreach programs and facilitating complex event logistics;
* Comfortable developing marketing materials and educational content for diverse audiences;
* Knowledge of sustainability issues and best practices;
* Commitment to institutional and societal sustainability;
* Ability to work both as a team leader and member, and complete projects with minimal supervision;
* Commitment to diversity; ability to work effectively with all constituencies in a diverse institution;
* Two to three years of experience with successful management of sustainability programs;
* Knowledge of higher education administration and issues;
* Higher education experience.
Reference Number: 96-24954
Salary Grade: 025
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Office of the University Architect
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: X-Secretarial/Administrative