Major Gifts Development Officer
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Institutional Advancement
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Dec 15, '16
Alfred State invites applications and nominations for the Major Gifts Development Officer search. This leadership appointment provides an exceptional opportunity for a fundraising professional to have an essential role in building a culture of philanthropy that encourages financial support for Alfred State.
The Major Gifts Development Officer is responsible for developing, initiating, cultivating, securing, and acknowledging major gifts as well as annual fund gifts to the Alfred State College Development Fund, Inc. in support of Alfred State. Through frequent travel, the Major Gifts Development Officer will foster relationships with Alfred State's alumni and friends as they make philanthropic decisions.
- Conduct a minimum of 10-15 monthly visits with alumni, friends and parents of the college
- Design and implement fundraising strategies to secure major gifts ($10K+) in support of Alfred State
- Work collaboratively with Institutional Advancement and Alumni Relations colleagues
- Plan and/or participate in strategy planning sessions with internal college stakeholders
- Identify potential donors through prospect research
- Create and execute annual engagement and fundraising plans with the President, Executive Vice President, Executive Director, College members, DFB, and other internal stakeholders
- Attend appropriate college and alumni events to meet and interact with prospective donors
- Develop and maintain appropriate tracking data files in a timely manner using Raiser's Edge
- Maintain and document timely travel and business-related expenses at budgeted levels
- Participate in weekly development meetings and professional development activities
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum of five years in development or related role (examples: business, finance, financial planning, sales, marketing, and communications)
Preferred Qualifications: Higher education experience
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.