HEAD CHEER COACH
HEAD CHEER COACH
Department: Student Life & Student Services
Responsible for all facets of the cheer and mascot programs; including recruiting, training and conditioning of cheer team members, scheduling, performance/contest preparation, practices, promotion of school sprit, and all aspects of the cheer and mascot programs.
1. Responsible for complying with Angelo State, Texas Tech University System policies, rules, and regulations and NCAA and LSC rules as applicable.
2. Responsible for recruiting and training all cheer student-athletes and mascots.
3. Responsible for ensuring performance at identified home and away athletic events, arranging travel and transportation, following budgetary guidelines, purchasing equipment, inventory of equipment and supplies, and all issues related to the cheer and mascot programs.
4. Supervises graduate/student assistants, organizes and implements plan for developing and sustaining a successful and dynamic cheer and mascot programs.
5. Monitors academic progress and eligibility of cheer/mascot student members.
6. Provides community involvement activities for cheer/mascot student members.
7. Positively represents ASU and the cheer/mascot programs in the community, area, state, and nationally.
8. Assists with fundraising activities and game promotions as assigned by the Director of Student Life or ASU administrators.
9. Complete other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of cheerleading team instruction such as but not limited to: choreography, gymnastics, and tumbling
techniques; organizing and directing a team and preparing performance/competition.
2. Ability to motivate cheer/mascot student members.
3. Skilled in planning and organizing aspects needed to build, implement, and conduct a successful cheer/mascot program; including graduating student members and providing opportunities for their personal development.
4. Skilled in oral and written communication.
5. Must be able to be an approved driver for the university.
This position requires prolonged periods of standing with intermittent sitting, walking, reaching, bending and grasping. Manual dexterity is also necessary. Incumbent works both in and outdoors, and has periodic exposure to dust, pollen, heat, cold, and inclement weather. Lifting objects up to 50 lbs. is also required.
Travel and weekend/evening work required.
Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited university or college is required, a Master's Degree is preferred. Previous successful cheer coaching experience is required, previous successful cheer coaching experience at either high school or college level is strongly preferred.
AACCA Spirit Safety Certified.
Varsity Cheer Course Completion (Partner Stunt Progressions 1 and 2; Motions, Jumps, and Tumbling).
First Aid/CPR certificate required.