Education ESL Adjunct
National Louis University is looking for energetic individuals who are excited about a new direction for teaching and learning in Higher Education. We seek an individual who is energetic, passionate about education and learning, and committed to excellence in teaching and learning in Higher Education. The position requires you to be agile, creative and engaging while offering a new curriculum and an unparalleled experience to undergraduate students.
Adjunct team members will need to roll up their sleeves and collaborate regularly with program staff and students, participate in and develop curriculum for student growth, create and attend professional development trainings and evaluate the effectiveness of the instructional model.
The primary focus of the instructor is to guide students through learning to contribute subject matter expertise, to focus on the science behind learning and the achievement of outcomes through a variety of methods. This program is highly data-driven so a focus on evaluating learning and predictive analytics related to student success is central.
Your enthusiasm will help us reach our ambitious growth goals as we strive to close the achievement gap in college attainment. We seek candidates with strong analytical, project management, and partnership engagement skills, and most importantly people who possess a passion for supporting young people’s success.
Candidates should be qualified to teach Education ESL Courses
We have multiple part-time positions located in Chicago that require instructors to collaborate on a regular basis with the support team that surrounds each student. There is an on-campus time commitment on Mondays from 9a-12p. THIS POSITION BEGINS SPRING 2017.
• Master’s degree in multicultural education, bilingual education, ESL education, or a closely related field plus a minimum of 1 year of experience successfully teaching ESL/EFL or bilingual education
• Doctorate degree in multicultural education, bilingual education, ESL education, or closely related field preferred
• ESL or Bilingual endorsement in the state of IL preferred
• Experience working with diverse populations and experience teaching children or adults in an ESL teaching situation
• Experience teaching early learners is highly desired
• Experience working with assessments in an educational setting is required.
• The successful candidate will be technologically savvy, with experience using technology in language education.
• Applicants should also have competency in online teaching platforms (experience teaching online is highly desirable).
• Successful candidates will be required to complete pre-employment training in Desire to Learn, NLU’s online teaching program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate to develop an effective student experience for students.
- Provide expertise in the content area.
- Facilitate courses as needed by delivering instruction in a blended and online environment.
- Maintain current and active knowledge in the expertise area that is reflected in instruction.
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for postsecondary success for diverse learners.
- Participate in weekly meetings with coaches and assessors to report student progress and obstacles.
- Attend weekly labs in which you develop and deliver curriculum that prepares students for success.
- Empower students to develop competency by sharing a passion for the subject and the skills.
- Promotes student success by showing flexibility in delivery and work schedule as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and engaging students in the learning process.
- Contributes to a learning culture by participating on committees, supporting local campus events such as orientation and graduation, and participating in various other workshops and meetings.
- Utilize technology-based teaching platforms, including an adaptive engine to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Identify gaps between student needs and existing resources and services; generate creative resolutions.
- Create, attend and actively participate in training opportunities provided in online and in person settings.