Director of Media Relations
Director of Media Relations
Job Number: 73941
The Hoover Institution is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Director of Media Relations in the Public Affairs Department.
Represent the office of Public Affairs to both internal and external audiences. Provide broad support or leadership in planning, coordinating, and implementing communication programs for a major university unit or university-wide program. Oversee external written and digital communications and media relations and assist with strategic planning efforts.
- Provide public relations support for audiences that are both internal and external to the university, including on a national and international scale.
- Develop, execute, edit, and oversee written communications of complex nature, including key content messages for speeches, presentations, magazine columns, correspondence, social media posts, and opinion pieces.
- Develop strategies for brand managements, reputation management and issues management of moderate complexity.
- Design and implement effective media relations programs with routine outreach to local and national news organizations.
- Design and implement effective constituent communications programs.
- Liaise with staff responsible for a variety of community outreach activities.
- Leverage relationships with key reporters and editors, media, community and/or government leaders.
- Establish relationships with key reporters and editors at top-tier and influential media outlets.
- Participate in strategic planning, financial and business planning, special projects, and other assignments pertaining to the mission of communications and PR functions.
- Develop strategic comprehensive communication plans to meet the needs of key audiences.
- Provide support and management for various media programs and events including event planning, scheduling, and identifying target audiences.
- Promote books published by the Hoover Institution including developing and executing publicity plans.
- May supervise others.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and seven years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Experience with public policy issues a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written communication skills, outstanding research and analytical skills, and skills in conceptual editing, copy editing, and proof reading.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups across campus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- Mastery of skills in journalism and public relations.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- On call and ability to respond 24/7.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace within Stanford University is a public policy research center devoted to advanced study of politics, economics, and political economy - both domestic and foreign - as well as international affairs. Today, with its world-renowned group of scholars and ongoing programs of policy-oriented research, the Hoover Institution put its accumulated knowledge to work as a prominent contributor to the world market place of ideas defining a free society.
The Hoover Institution at Stanford University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Hoover Institution
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.