Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Feb 13, '17
The Hinkle Memorial Library at Alfred State is accepting applications for Assistant Librarian (rank equivalent to Instructor). This is a full-time, tenure track, 10-month position. We a seeking an energetic, creative, service-oriented individual to join the library faculty team. Primary duties are participation in the library instruction program and administrative involvement with the library management system (Aleph 500). Responsibilities also include reference service, collection development, assessment, and participation in faculty governance and college life.
- Assist patrons at the information desk and at library workstations, which includes some evening and weekend hours.
- Participation in library instruction, including creation of library guides and collaboration with other librarians.
- Trains staff as necessary; may supervise full-time and/or part-time non-librarian employees.
- Supporting technical services staff in purchase, cataloging, and maintenance of materials.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Ability to demonstrate creative approaches to public service and instruction.
- A record of working collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
- Working knowledge of standard bibliographic and other reference tools
- Experience with an integrated library system (Aleph 500 preferred), with some cataloging experience.
- Familiarity with MARC format and cataloging rules including RDA, AACR2, LCSH, and LCRI.
- Strong interpersonal skills, good organization skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, an ability to interact successfully with a broad clientele both inside and outside the institution, and a flexible approach.
- Self-starter interested in new library technologies and open educational resources.
- American Library Association-accredited
- Masters in Library Science or equivalent required.
- One to three years of professional post-MLS experience, preferably in an academic library setting required.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
Preference will be given to applications submitted by April 1, 2017. All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.