Associate Controller for Budget, Financial Reporting, & Compliance
Responsible for developing/administering policies and procedures, budgetary decisions, extensive scope/impact of decisions on both internal and external contacts. Some functions include administration/management of a dept of division that may have 1 or more Assistant/Associate Directors, in addition to other Exempt and Non-Exempt level staff. This is an "advanced" level position.
The Associate Controller for Budget, Financial Reporting & Compliance will be responsible for overall operations of Budget, Financial Reporting, International Tax, Tuition Classification, Monitoring, SAS Financial Reporting, and Facilities Finance. This position will be responsible for ensuring strong internal controls are maintained and monitored focused on compliance with institutional policies and procedures and assist the Controller in the preparation of various fiscal reports. A CPA license is highly preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the overall operations of unit(s) reporting to this position, including Budget & Planning, SAS Financial Reporting, Facilities Finance, and Compliance, which includes international tax, vendors, tuition classification, and monitoring internal controls; additional areas of responsibility may be added at a future date
- Overall responsibility for Budget & Planning, including preparing annual budget narrative, annual budget load, quarterly projections, quarterly budget amendments, and quarterly budget to actuals reporting to USO; provides recommendations to upper management regarding budget process and efficiencies
- Overall responsibility for Compliance, which includes international tax, vendor maintenance, tuition classification, compliance and internal controls; ensures monthly monitoring of internal controls and accurate submission of quarterly monitoring report; reviews and approves tuition classification requests that are escalated; ensures accurate and timely submission of 1042s and 1042 return
- Overall responsibility for Facilities Finance, which includes overseeing the accounting and budget for the Facilities department; ensures various reports and documentation related to facilities projects and funding are submitted to the USO accurately and timely; ensures strong internal controls are in place and monitored
- Assists the Controller with the year-end financial close and preparation of the Annual Report (AFR) and Budgetary Compliance Report (BCR)
- Coordinates the annual audit activities, including preparation and review of Auditor Checklist and Trial Balance books
- Reviews/Prepares Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA) and reconciles to the Statement of Revenues, Expenses and Changes in Net Position (SCRECNP)
- Reviews/Prepares the Nonprofit Report, Annual Expenditure Report (AER), and other annual financial reports as needed
- Prepares month-end, year-end, and recurring journal entries
- Researches proper accounting treatment per GASB and GAAP.
- Serves as lead on developing Business Procedures and Policy for the University and ensures compliance with State laws and BOR Policies.
- Prepares oral and written presentations for internal and external correspondence, and/or consultations.
- Undertakes other duties as directed by the Controller
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check and MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://hr.kennesaw.edu/managers/docs/Credit_check_criteria.pdf and http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 9+ years comparable/related experience; management/supervisory skills are required.
- Have unquestionable personal and professional integrity
- Be an accomplished manager, at ease supervising a high-performing team of managers and staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting highly preferred; CPA highly preferred; Master's preferred
- Experience in Accounting, Financial Reporting, Budget, Internal Control Monitoring
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective team player, flexible, quick learner, and self-motivated
- Self-sufficient and dependable; able to multi-task on a regular basis
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented and deadline-driven while maintaining the highest level of accuracy
- Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with large ERP systems (PeopleSoft and Banner strongly preferred); thorough understanding of processing systems and the ability to solve problems within the system.
- Higher-Ed/Government Experience preferred