Postdoctoral Scholar Position
Open August 24th, 2016 through March 31st, 2017
University of California, Irvine has opening for a postdoctoral scholar in the areas of health informatics, human-computer interaction, and/or data/text mining and natural language processing. The postdoctoral scholar will be working on several federally funded projects, as well as unfunded exploratory projects, that focus on health IT evaluation and redesign, quality of electronic documentation, and use of advanced informatics techniques (e.g. natural language processing) to augment the value of clinical narratives and patient-generated content on the internet.
The successful candidate will be mentored by Associate Professor Kai Zheng and will work closely with faculty collaborators, doctoral students, postdoctoral and visiting scholars, and programmers in the newly formed Health & Information (HAI) Lab at University of California, Irvine.
The position is open till it is filled, with a desirable starting date between January 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017. The appointment period will be one year initially, and will be renewable up to three years.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
• A terminal degree (Ph.D., M.D., Pharm.D., etc.) in health informatics, computer science, human-computer interaction, medicine, or other related fields;
• Experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods;
• Experience in studying in the healthcare context;
• Knowledgeable in user-centered design, system evaluation, and prototyping techniques;
• Knowledgeable in computational methods for analyzing medical data and text;
• Ability to work independently and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team;
• Excellent writing capabilities demonstrated by sample publications and/or publication record.
Current graduate students who meet all other requirements but have not yet completed their terminal degree are welcome to apply. However, any offer made will be contingent upon successful completion of the degree.
This is a full-time position that includes benefits. It will be funded in part by an NIH Training Grant and therefore, applicants must meet all NIH requirements for Postdoctoral Scholars (https://researchtraining.nih.gov/resources/faq). Per NIH policy, applicants must be US citizen or permanent resident. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested applicants should respond by submitting the application and the names and addresses of three references through the following URL:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now