About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women, with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Job status: Non-exempt, full time.
Salary: $18 hour, 37.5 hour work week
Reports to: : Manager of Financial Operations
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Financial Operations, the Cashier provides exceptional customer service to the College community while performing duties in the areas of cash handling and accounting. The Cashier assists in guiding the College community on cash handling policies and procedures and coordinates with others to achieve College, business office, and team goals.
Essential Job Functions:
• Provide a high level of customer service to the College community.
• Accurately process, record and deposit all cash receipts.
• Process and record all student and non-student account receivable payments.
• Disburse cash payments such as petty cash reimbursements, cash advances, student emergency loans, and miscellaneous cash disbursements.
• Act as main Cashier and monitor, receive, and check all cash from transactions done by other cashiering stations on campus.
• Responsible for balancing cash on hand daily, ordering cash, and sending deposits to the bank.
• Prepare and process journal entries and perform account reconciliations.
• Perform general reception duties, provide general services, and answer general questions.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Open and close the cashier window in accordance with the posted hours of operation.
• Safeguard cash and checks in the office at all times.
• Work with various departments to ensure that student payments, non-student payments, deposits, &amp; disbursements are posted according to departmental or customer intention.
• Respond to questions and inquiries in a timely manner.
• Disburse payroll checks and accounts payable checks held for pickup.
• Track and record the sale of items such as shuttle tickets and calling cards.
• Communicate discrepancies to appropriate departments and recommend correction.
• Perform month end closing procedures and balancing.
• Process electronic bank deposits and communicate with the bank when questions and issues arise.
• Prepare manual deposits and orders with the armored car service.
• Monitor and check all external cashier activity, assuring all funds are received in a timely manner.
• Assist in the implementation and testing of new or revised accounting systems, procedures, and record keeping.
• Demonstrate an understanding of, and ensure compliance with, the finance office's internal controls and procedures related to all College policies, especially the Cash Handling Policy and Document Retention and Destruction Policies.
• Cross train finance office staff and update Cashier procedures as needed.
• Complete additional projects or tasks as assigned by supervisor, including acting as backup for other team members.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Perform extremely detailed tasks with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to work with large sums of cash and checks while multitasking.
• Be at work on time and have excellent attendance.
• Able to take lunch break at the same time every day when the cashier window is closed.
• Ability to collaborate with team members to ensure payments are properly recorded.
• Exercise judgment in communications with supervisor, team members, and all external departments.
• Prioritize work and tasks to meet deadlines and ensure completion of critical duties.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and interact effectively with a variety of diverse customers.
• Ability to deal professionally and tactfully with upset or difficult customers.
• Work as part of a team, as well as independently to ensure departmental goals are achieved.
• Analyze and interpret financial data in order to perform reconciliations and research discrepancies.
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality, and ensure sensitive data is protected.
• Have strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style, and ability to effectively manage shifting priorities.
• Follow safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements.
• Must be able to pass a background check.
Education and Training:
• At a minimum, an A.A. degree in accounting or related field and at least two years of experience in a position with similar responsibilities.
• At least two years of experience in data entry of financial information and cash handling.
• Banking experience is desirable.
• Computer experience including proficiency with accounting systems, Microsoft Word and Excel, and the use of email.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand or sit for extended periods of time and must manually count large sums of currency.
• Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis.
• Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 75% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, 10-key calculator, phone, and similar machines.
• Multitasking while providing customer services is required for this position. Upset or difficult customers could cause stress.
• Work takes place in an office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is typical of most office environments with telephones, interruptions, and background noises.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Mills offers an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan; 10 days of vacation accrued the first year of service, 15 days for years 2-9, and22 days for 10years and up; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, completed Mills application document and contact information for three professional references along with your online application at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=81330.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.