Vice President for Programs and Research
The Association of Governing Boards of Universities & Colleges is the only national association that serves the interests and needs of academic governing boards, boards of institutionally related foundations, and campus CEOs and other senior-level campus administrators on issues related to higher education governance and leadership. Its mission is to strengthen, protect, and advocate on behalf of citizen trusteeship that supports and advances higher education. To do so, AGB delivers programs and services that
- strengthen partnerships between presidents and governing boards
- define and clarify the responsibilities of governing board members
- provide guidance to trustees, board leaders, and campus leaders in their governance-related roles
- encourage a level of professionalism for trusteeship, a voluntary function
- monitor and respond to public policy issues that affect higher education and governance and foster cooperation among all education stakeholders
AGB seeks a Vice President who will bring dynamic leadership and an inclusive management style to address the opportunities and challenges facing the position. AGB Leadership has identified an agenda that will assist the next Vice President in establishing his/her leadership priorities that include the following opportunities:
- Play a significant role in assisting AGB in reaching its strategic goals, most significantly ensuring that the association is seen as a trusted advisor for all members and as a leading voice on matters linking higher education and governance.
- Provide active and effective management of the department, offering strong budget oversight as well as leadership and mentoring of staff.
- Contribute to the development of programs at the strategic and planning levels, assigning execution to appropriate staff.
- Lead in the development of new projects and work closely with the directors of corporate and foundation relations to ensure support for these new projects, as well as appropriate continuing projects/programs
The Vice President for Programs and Research will have both depth and breadth of knowledge of higher education and who understands the complexity and emerging opportunities present in its environment today, a record of experience and administrative achievement reflective of AGB’s own standards of excellence coupled with personal integrity of the highest order. An entrepreneurial thinker who is motivated by mission and, at the same time, able to follow through on tasks of execution and implementation and who is:
- A strategic and data-driven thinker with experience in planning for and implementing successful programs and research.
- A leader with a collaborative style that builds upon relationships and a sense of community and teamwork;
- A leader with an excellent mind and broad vision, varied interests, a fresh perspective, balanced judgment and creativity.
- A person with excellent communication skills and a confident and comfortable public presence.
- A leader with the ability to excel in a consultative environment, and the skill to negotiate with all groups.
- While a terminal degree is preferred, candidates with varied and successful preparation and experiences will be considered.
- A person with energy, stamina, enthusiasm, humility, and a sense of humor!
A detailed job description can be found at https://www.agb.org/careers
To apply, email a cover letter and resume along with three professional references with contact email and phone numbers to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of the email. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
AGB is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.