Student Systems Functional Lead, Student Records and Curriculum Management
The University of Rochester is recruiting this position to lead the project activities of a team of functional and business analysts to design, implement and support university-wide student information systems. This individual will lead the team’s efforts in the requirement analysis/documentation, business process analysis/documentation, operational reporting design/documentation, configuration, testing strategy and use case development, testing execution, data conversion design and data validation, maintenance, implementation planning and security compliance analysis of university business systems and enabling technologies in support of university-wide student systems. As the team leader, this individual will provide guidance in the completion of all activities as well as functional expertise to the team and will have overall functional responsibility for system capabilities in the areas of Student Records and Curriculum Management.
This individual will:
- Lead the definition, documentation and prioritization of business requirements, in consultation with functional experts across all University academic units. Lead the transformation of business requirements into configurable software components and rules.
- Lead the creation and documentation of unified business process designs, capable of supporting all university academic units.
- Lead the analysis, design and implementation of system configuration in support of business requirements and end user security requirements. Develop creative solutions to allow for the support of business needs that are not directly aligned with system capabilities.
- Manage a list of unmet requirements, in consultation with the software vendor, and provide underlying use case details and business impact to enable the development of system enhancements in support of those unmet needs.
- Define the operational reporting requirements and required underlying data elements necessary to support operational reporting within the system.
- Define the data conversion needs and provide guidance to individuals creating the data extract, transformation and load processes to convert data. Review converted data for appropriateness and provide guidance related to data cleansing requirements.
- Provide functional guidance for the creation of system integrations to enable business processes within the system to work collaboratively with other systems to achieve overall university needs.
- Lead the implementation of key system capabilities that have been identified as being critical to the achievement of academic unit aspirational goals/strategic objectives. Provide guidance for required changes in behaviors in key personnel for the achievement of these goals.
- Identify and recommend changes in policy that may be required to achieve program objectives and business case.
- Lead the creation of testing approach and strategy and organize test execution and use case management to confirm the successful execution of testing against business processes, configuration, data conversion, reporting and integration elements. Confirm that the scope of testing addresses the inventory of business requirements.
- Lead the execution of testing activities and provide guidance to end users in how to execute test cases and record results.
- Define content requirements and provide subject matter expertise for the creation of end user training materials and user procedures.
- Lead a Special Interest Group (SIG) organization within assigned functional areas, and define and create the content to be presented and reviewed by this body.
- Provide content into program communications to improve understanding and adoption of the new system within the broader university community.
- Lead demonstration sessions of planned key system functionality to the broader university community, providing context for design approaches and gathering feedback from participants to improve the final system design.
- Design, develop, document, test, implement, administer, maintain, and support upgrade and ongoing enhancement and release activities for student information system application software components.
- Prepare necessary paperwork and documentation to ensure conformance to departmental/corporate standards and procedures.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of the student information system and business analysis disciplines, related best practices, and related technologies.
- Provide status to project leadership on progress against assigned activities and timelines. Identify and escalate issues in a timely fashion in accordance with project procedures.
- Work collaboratively with other Student System Functional Leads as well as other related technical and consulting resources to achieve program objectives. Identify gaps and address them proactively in collaboration with other project team members.
- Provide oversight to Student System Functional Analysts.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Demonstration of the following knowledge and skills is expected:
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with others working in both functional and technical roles in the university
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proven track record in successfully leading multiple work streams and producing consistent results in relevant student-related activities
- Strong understanding of student record and curriculum management business processes
- Experience with student records and curriculum management applications preferred
- Strong understanding of system/application implementation and ongoing administration activities
- Ability to provide on-call support as required
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following:
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline. 5 to 10 years of related experience, preferably 3-5 years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in higher education field strongly preferred