Service Desk Technician
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Information Technology Services seeks a full-time Service Desk Technician (State Title: Instructional Support Assistant) at our Saratoga Springs, NY location.
The Service Desk Technician is the primary support contact representative for Information Technology Services (ITS). This position is dedicated to providing an excellent customer support experience through voice, chat and virtual Help Desk service channels. The selected incumbent will be solutions driven and be able to see the broader picture without a loss of customer service. The Service Desk Technician works closely with the Lead Service Desk Operator to identify opportunities for improvement in levels of support, systems and processes. This position also develops, participates and supports documentation for Tier 0 self-help materials and other related resources (Discussion boards, chat, FAQs, etc.) as part of an advanced online ticketing (service) system.
- Champions customers' concerns and works as an advocate for them when interacting with ITS team members
- Receives calls from customers and resolves issues over the phone when possible
- Routes calls and/or work orders to the appropriate technician when unable to resolve issues over the phone
- Provides additional support to technicians in the form of research and information discovery
- Other tasks as assigned by Service Desk Manager
Preferred Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
- Troubleshooting (system-level)
- Familiarity with basic web concepts
- Familiarity with Moodlerooms or other Learning Management Systems
- Experience using remote support tools (i.e. Bomgar, VNC, RDP, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal savvy and ability to empathize with concerned customers
- Ability to multitask and maintain a calm demeanor in high-stress situations
- Excellent verbal communication skills and professional bearing
- Ability to quickly distinguish between a systematic/machine issue and a user issue
- Experience with web browsers, e-mail clients, web forms, basic word processing or other office suite (productivity) software
- Working knowledge of Windows and Mac Operating Systems, mobile devices and social networking applications
- Minimum 1-year relevant technical support experience
- Associate's degree; or a minimum of 64 hours of undergraduate coursework is a four-year baccalaureate program
- Experience working in a Technology Service Desk or call center
- Experience working in customer service roles
- Experience working in an academic support environment
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a multi person Service Desk team and using an advanced ticketing system
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- Hours: Monday – Thursday 1:00pm-9:00pm; Sunday 1:00pm-9:00pm
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security