Customer Service Representative - Tier 1
Working Title: Customer Service Representative - Tier 1
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Student Financial Services
Posting Date: 12-13-2016
Student Financial Services is dedicated to providing students, alumni, and their families with efficient, courteous and responsible financial services while complying with all federal, state, and University policies. All staff members are expected to maintain general knowledge of student financial aid and student accounts that will allow them to contribute to group decisions about office operations and be cross-trained on several programs/processes. We operate as a team-oriented organization that focuses on quality service.
The Tier 1 Customer Service Representative contributes to the success of Student Financial Services by responding to phone, email, and in-person inquiries as workflow and business priorities require. Prior customer service experience working in analytical situations and solving sometimes complex problems is preferred. Prior experience working in a high-volume contact center is preferred. Professional conduct, dexterity in all forms of communication, and the exercise of good judgment is required for all our contact channels. The representative will be expected to learn quickly and be able to explain to customers sometimes complex details about financial aid, student accounts, and a wide range of other business processes of the University of Virginia. The representative should be able to work with confidence, consistent accuracy, and independence once trained. The position will require the ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources, collaborate and calibrate on service issues, and to understand the complexities of the University's Integrated System. Because our processes are often complex and seasonally cyclical, it is important to anticipate and intuit common questions as well as common errors our customers make. Candidates comfortable with ambiguity and who are easily adaptive to changing priorities will be most successful in this position. The representative will recognize when and why a customer contact should be referred to the next tier level for resolution. Approximately 80% of contacts are resolved at the Tier 1 level.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to attend to details and well developed computer and web-based skills.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large volumes of information from numerous sources and ability to utilize all available resources appropriately; ability to consistently apply federal, state and institutional regulation and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize duties and responsibilities to meet office goals and objectives; ability to perform administrative tasks independently on a daily basis; ability to handle and manage ambiguity, repetition and change.
- Demontrated effective organizational skills; ability to manage multiple priorities; ability to assume responsibility and take initiative.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills in order to simplify and clarify complex processes.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism on a daily basis and the exercise of exceptional judgment and diplomacy.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=80599