First Year Instruction/Humanities Librarian
Functional Title First Year Instruction/Humanities Librarian
Position Type Tenure Stream
Re-Post, Previous Applicants Need Not Re-Apply, Still Under Consideration
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro Libraries invites applications for the position of First-Year Instruction/Humanities Librarian. We are seeking an energetic, innovative, flexible, and service-oriented individual to join the Research, Outreach and Instruction Department. This librarian will be an active member of the Instruction Team, with a strong emphasis on teaching and designing curriculum for our First-Year Instruction program. This individual will also have liaison responsibilities in the humanities disciplines, and will provide general reference service. This is a twelve-month tenure-track faculty position. Demonstrated professional achievement including scholarly/creative activity are required for reappointment and tenure.
The position will require flexibility and a proactive orientation. Specific responsibilities include:
- Designing and teaching information literacy sessions to first-year classes in Communication Studies, English, Foundations for * * Learning, and Freshman Seminar programs.
- Collaborating with the First-Year Instruction Team on programs aimed at first-year students.
- Working collaboratively with faculty in developing information literacy initiatives.
- Serving as liaison to several humanities disciplines, including information literacy instruction, outreach, research support, and collection development.
- Developing research LibGuides and creating tutorials for first-year courses and liaison areas.
- Participating in assessment of instruction and other library services.
- Providing general reference service, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Participating in departmental and library initiatives, work groups, and committees.
- Pursuing research and creative activities and service to the profession.
- Master's degree from an ALA accredited institution, earned by June 2017.
- Demonstrated relevant teaching experience.
- Education or experience in instructional design.
- Experience working with first-year students.
- A degree in a humanities discipline or experience providing humanities reference service.
- Experience providing reference service.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- Two years of experience in an academic library.
- Experience creating or maintaining LibGuides or other similar research guides.
- Experience serving as a library liaison.
- Record of scholarly and creative activities.
- Experience with instructional assessment.
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Special Instructions to Applicants
Work Environment: Founded in 1891, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is classified by The Carnegie Foundation as a comprehensive doctoral, research university with "high research activity" and has been certified as a Community-engaged Institution. The University has a diverse student body, with an enrollment of approximately 19,400, and is located in the city of Greensboro in the Triad area of North Carolina. UNCG is one of four doctoral-granting institutions of the sixteen-campus University system and places strong emphasis on effective teaching as well as research and service to the community.
University Libraries: The University Libraries support the learning and research missions of the University through its print and electronic resources, research and instructional services, and other outreach programs. The collections include 1.2 million printed book volumes, more than 65,000 electronic and print journal subscriptions, over 350 electronic databases, and 650,000 e-books. For more information regarding the University Libraries please visit: http://library.uncg.edu/info/.
Greensboro Metro Area: Greensboro is a beautiful and thriving city of 280,000 and offers an extraordinary variety of visual and performing arts venues and programs. The UNCG campus is located near an exciting revitalized downtown district, a major sports/entertainment coliseum, and professional baseball stadium. Greensboro is located in the Piedmont Triad Region, which has 11 colleges and universities within an area of great natural beauty, diverse industry, cultural arts, historic sites, and mild temperatures. North Carolina's mountains are an easy two-hour drive and the Atlantic beaches of the Carolinas are just around four hours away.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, 12 month, tenure track position. The salary for the position is competitive and is contingent upon the candidate's qualifications and experience. Standard benefits include state or optional (including TIAA-CREF) retirement plans, state health plan, and 24 vacation days per year.
Application Procedures: Send a cover letter addressing qualifications, along with a current curriculum vita and the names of three recent professional references to:
Preference will be given to applications received by January 30, 2017. The position will remain open until filled. The start date is negotiable.
UNCG has a strong commitment to serve its highly diverse community. As such, UNCG welcomes applications from women, underrepresented racial/ethnic minority group members, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups and others who would enrich the University's mission. UNCG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Recruitment Range Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Org #-Department University Libraries - 11601
Job Open Date 12/23/2016
For Best Consideration Date 02/21/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu