Queens College Service Corps Manager (Student Life Manager)
Launched in the fall of 2013, the CUNY Service Corps is a major University-wide initiative that builds on CUNY's legacy of service in New York City and supplements the broad base of experiential learning opportunities available for students CUNY-wide. The CUNY Service Corps is focused on meeting the City's most pressing needs in four thematic areas: community and public health; built and green infrastructures; the education of children and adults; and economic development. By participating in the CUNY Service Corps, students gain preparation for the workplace through structured reflections to make meaningful links between projects and college coursework, and acquire valuable work experience and exposure to real-world careers, while being supported to succeed as college students. CUNY Service Corps members are placed on paid assignments at community organizations, schools, government agencies, and working on research and planning efforts with individual CUNY faculty.
The CUNY Service Corps program at Queens College seeks an entrepreneurial and student-centered professional to serve as its campus Service Corps Manager. The Manager will implement and promote this University-wide student service learning program at Queens College. Reporting to the Assistant Provost, the Service Corps Manager administers and expands the program's components, training, recruiting and student employment functions via comprehensive planning, management, and assessment. The Manager works in collaboration with students, faculty, administrators, and staff across various home departments and partner campuses, University offices, and external community partners. The Service Corps Manager will organize meaningful opportunities for students; seamlessly integrate the program into campus activities and priorities; deftly negotiate the use of and access to campus resources; and diplomatically manage stakeholder relationships to sustain involvement.
Other duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Manage the administrative, operational, and financial aspects of the program.
- Develop and implement an annual plan aligned with the Queens College Mission and Strategic Plan, as well as with the CUNY Service Corps priorities and tenets.
- Lead campus-based informational and recruitment events and participate in University-wide activities.
- Evaluate student applications for eligibility and coordinate group interview activities to identify and select participants.
- Implement the pre-service training curriculum to prepare students for engagements.
- Advise students on engagement opportunities to ensure suitable matches for optimal learning and success.
- Conduct regularly scheduled individual or group advising or debriefing sessions to engage students in meaningful reflections on and discussions about their engagement experiences, personal development and community contributions
- Manage data analysis and assessments to evaluate essential performance metrics and indicators of effectiveness.
- Work with Queens College and CUNY offices to create effective communication strategies, channels, and materials.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of student participants and community programs; prepare and submit all required program and student data reports and plans for campus and University reviews as scheduled.
- Coordinate campus participation in program activities and participate in University-wide meetings to assess evolving needs.
- Collaborate with site-based liaisons to facilitate appropriate and satisfactory student placements, services and supervision; share campus and University-specific information; and ensure compliance with guidelines and record-maintenance.
Bachelor's degree and six years related experience required.
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- An advanced degree in education or a social science discipline strongly preferred
- Experience managing a multi-faceted, fast-paced, time-sensitive, and demanding student-focused operation serving both internal and external constituents
- Experience developing program models, evaluating performance and analyzing data/metrics
- Experience developing and managing service learning, community service, civic engagement, volunteerism, field work, and/or experiential education programs in higher education
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to work and interact effectively, collaboratively, and cooperatively with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff and external constituents in a large centralized public university system
- Orientation to detail with strong analytical, evaluation, research, writing, and editing skills
- Presentation, negotiation, conflict management, mediation, and group facilitation skills
- Computer proficiency using standard office software programs/applications, collaboration software, and online publishing tools
- Flexibility to work some evening hours and occasional weekends
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of student programs and quality of life issues, promoting the personal development of a diverse student population.
- Evaluates student needs and trends to develop a range of student services
- Develops and administers specific programs and general activities in support of student needs
- Develops relationships with college departments and outside community organizations to understand student needs and available development opportunities
- Represents the College in campus-wide and university-wide groups and councils focusing on priority student issues
- Manages staff, fiscal resources, and facilities supporting student affairs activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Life Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number (16353)
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT, as a PDF.
Please use a simple name for the document that you upload (for example, JDoeResume.pdf). Documents with long names and non-standard characters cannot be parsed by the application system.
April 8, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queens College
Job Title: Queens College Service Corps Manager (Student Life Manager)
Job ID: 16353
Full/Part Time: Full-Time