The Instructional Designer works as part of the Instructional Design Team to create, design and maintain online and blended courses. Responsibilities include working with faculty to design high quality online courses as well as plan and facilitate faculty training in online pedagogy and instructional uses of technologies. This position reports to the Director of the Center for Online Learning supporting the university’s growing online and blended education programs.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church, and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision, and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students, and guests.
- Work with faculty and subject matter experts (SMEs) in the planning, design, and development of online and blended courses.
- Design, develop, and deliver workshops and training sessions to faculty and professional staff on instructional design and online learning topics
- Provide one-on-one instructional design consultations and support for faculty.
- Serve as project manager for course development projects for new, revised, and updated courses and ensure adherence to deadlines and instructional design principles and the university’s standards
- Assist with review and maintenance of online and blended courses
- Develop documentation and other instructional materials supporting instructional design principles and practices
- Assist and support faculty in the development and design of appropriate teaching and learning strategies utilizing the latest instructional technology and design theories.
- Advise on learning management system (LMS) usability, testing, and tool integration
- Research, test, and recommend emerging technologies for instructional uses
- Develop and select interactive course materials and learning objects that support online pedagogy
- Maintain a high degree of knowledge in existing and emerging learning methods utilizing instructional design theories and innovations in hardware, software, and internet technologies.
- Serve on university committees as needed
- Master's Degree in Instructional Design, Curriculum and Instruction, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience in Instructional Design.
- Experience working with learning management system (Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, etc).
- Experience consulting with faculty in developing online course content and teaching strategies.
- Experience in planning and facilitating training workshops and developing training resources.
- Experience communicating and working effectively with diverse faculty and staff needs.
- Knowledge of adult learning theories, constructivism, facilitation, and learner-centered activities.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles and online course pedagogy.
- Demonstrated ability to develop online courses.
- Ability to provide instructional design consulting services to faculty and subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Ability to lead and manage multiple projects.
- Comfortable using a variety of multimedia tools to design interactive learning experiences.
- Ability to use virtual meeting platforms (Adobe Connect, GoToMeeting, etc).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Exceptionally strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be creative, flexible, and innovative in course design.
- Have a positive, energetic outlook with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Availability to be based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
- Doctorate in Education Technology, Curriculum & Instruction, or related field.
- Experience working in a Higher Education environment.
- Proficient with course authoring tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Articulate Storyline & Studio, Lectora, Captivate, Snag-It, etc.).
- Comfortable working within project management applications.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 3,500 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 35 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
To be considered for this position, applicants must complete and submit the following application materials:
- Application for Employment Form
- Cover Letter
Send completed applications to: