Academic Coordinator - Computational Thinking and Computer Science for Pre-service Teachers
Open February 6th, 2017 through March 31st, 2017
Academic Coordinator Computational Thinking and Computer Science for Pre-service Teachers
The UCI CalTeach Science and Mathematics Program is an undergraduate teacher preparation program for aspiring middle school and high school math and science teachers. The Program is currently revising its curriculum to prepare teacher candidates to teach computational thinking and computer science skills to K-12 students.
We are seeking a part-time Computational Thinking/Computer Science (CT/CS) Academic Coordinator, with knowledge of curriculum and pedagogy in CT and CS in elementary schools/middle schools. The position is a part-time position, at 30% per quarter, depending on program needs. The position is expected to start in spring 2017. The position will extend into summer and into the 2017-18 academic year, contingent on program needs, funding, and successful performance reviews.
The job has two main areas of responsibility: Program Administration and Curriculum and Professional Development
Program Administration: The CT/CS Academic Coordinator responsibilities involve working with other program coordinators to find fieldwork placements for CalTeach pre-service teachers with elementary classroom mentor teachers who are enthusiastic about incorporating computational thinking and computer science skills into their curriculum.
Curriculum and Professional Development: The CT/CS Academic Coordinator will work with other program coordinators and instructors to revise the current curriculum of several courses. The Academic Coordinator will prepare and deliver training related to CT and CS curriculum to classroom Mentor Teachers, university master teachers, and university supervisors.
• A master's degree or a California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, a Single Subject Credential, and/or a Computer Science Authorization.
• Evidence of experience developing and/or implementing curriculum that integrates computational thinking and/or computer science skills at the elementary or middle school level.
• Evidence of successful teaching at the elementary or middle school level
• Some undergraduate coursework or professional development related to teaching computational thinking or computer science.
• Equivalent work experience will be considered.
• Six or more years of teaching elementary school and/or middle school in public schools.
• Evidence of teaching experience in high-need, lower-performing schools.
• Experience with elementary teacher professional development.
• Experience with development of elementary curriculum.
• Evidence of program coordination or program administration experience.
• Evidence of familiarity with the latest research on the integration of computational thinking in elementary school classrooms.
• Evidence of experience and success teaching or coaching adults and/or college-age students, including but not limited to, acting as a supervisor of student teachers, mentor for new teachers, instructor for professional development or new teacher induction programs, instructor in a teacher preparation program, or undergraduate course instructor.
• Evidence of success working in teams.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
The salary rate is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. The base annual salary range begins at $51,420.
To Apply: Applications should be submitted online at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF03856 .
Please include a cover letter explaining your relevant background and interest in the position, your resume, and the names of three references. Inquiries regarding the position may be directed to Virginia Panish, Director of Teacher Education (firstname.lastname@example.org). Other inquiries may be directed to Tammy Ho, Director of Personnel (email@example.com).
More information about UCI's School of Education can be found at: www.education.uci.edu. More information about the UCI Cal Teach Science and Mathematics Program can be found at: www.education.uci.edu/calteach/.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
More information about this recruitment: http://education.uci.edu/
- CV / Resume - Your most recently updated CV / Resume
- Cover Letter - Please include a cover letter explaining your relevant background and interest in the position
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now