DIRECTOR OF PHYSICAL PLANT & MAINTENANCE
Nebraska Wesleyan University is seeking an accomplished and dynamic leader for the position of Director of Physical Plant and Building Maintenance who has experience in a higher education setting. The Physical Plant Director provides leadership and direction on all aspects of the physical plant department including strategic planning. The incumbent will manage the operation and maintenance of all University facilities including buildings, grounds, landscaping, custodial services, vehicles, and utilities including a heating plant. A successful leader in this role will consistently deliver effective programs and efficient facility services based on sustainable and collaborative outcomes aligned with the University’s core mission. The Director will build and maintain highly collaborative relationships on and off campus, understand City of Lincoln zoning requirements and work with the Lincoln Planning Commission on various issues.
Candidates must possess strong leadership and organizational development skills that can develop and align staff and operational capabilities and capacities with an overall change management approach that will encourage innovation, strengthen teamwork and relationship building, and lead to the accomplishment of well-defined strategic goals and objectives. The incumbent will also collaborate with the Student Affairs and Human Resource departments for crime reporting and daily log maintenance and serves as chair of the campus wide safety committee. Familiarity and understanding of the building codes for the State of Nebraska is a plus as Nebraska Wesleyan is preparing to begin the construction phase of a new building on campus.
* Provide leadership and direction on all aspects of the physical plant department, including strategic planning.
* Ensure campus-affiliated grounds; building systems and equipment are maintained and operate safely and adequately.
* Directs, manages and coordinates capital projects including writing RFPs, reports and preparing information for the Administrative Council and the Board of Governors.
* Conducts an on-going evaluation and analysis of the emergency, routine and preventative maintenance programs for campus.
* Supervise and develops ongoing training and development programs for physical plant maintenance and custodial staff.
* Collaborate with the campus Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator on lab safety and EPA compliance
*Develop or enhance all written operation policies and procedures for the Administration of the Physical Plant.
* Prepares monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports for maintenance and operations work with emphasis on costs, effectiveness and improvement opportunities.
* Prepares and analyzes monthly, quarterly and annual reports regarding budget of Physical plant for operating expenses and personnel expenditures.
* Keep current and advise campus administrators regarding safety codes and regulations governing campus including chemical safety.
* Interpret policy and procedures regarding maintenance, fire, safety and disaster for other departments when necessary.
* Ten years of both related leadership and supervisory experience required.
* Bachelor Degree in Industrial Management or related field required; additional certifications or licenses in relevant trade areas are preferred.
* Experience planning, developing, and managing budgets with varying funding sources, to include financial analysis and reporting to executive level administration
* Demonstrated ability to build strategic working relationships and communicate effectively within a diverse work environment
*Extensive knowledge of strategic planning practices and experience developing and implementing multi-year strategic plans
*Understanding of building/facility operations, safety environmental regulations and equipment related to:
* Carpentry; construction; plumbing; and electrical, cooling, and heating systems
* Firing, operation, repair and installation of steam boilers and auxiliary equipment to include Pneumatic controls and components for Heating Plant
* Knowledge of chemicals used in custodial and trades work
* Must have ability to effectively direct, supervise, and review personnel in custodial, grounds, power plant and HVAC operations, electrical and plumbing trades, mechanical and piping trades.
* Must have good oral and written communication skills as well as emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated computer skills using a variety Microsoft Office Products including Outlook, Word, Excel and other related software for job specific tasks.
Prior to employment, applicants will have to successfully complete a criminal background check. NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Life, Disability, Retirement, paid vacation and sick leave, and 100% tuition discount for employee and dependents after one year of service.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references to Maria Harder. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Commitment to Diversity:
Nebraska Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruiting, hiring and retaining members of racial/ethnic groups under-represented in higher education. Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.