William E. Moran Distinguished Professorship in Literacy
Functional Title William E. Moran Distinguished Professorship in Literacy
Position Type Tenure Stream
The Department of Teacher Education and Higher Education, School of Education, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, invites applications and nominations for the William E. Moran Distinguished Professorship in Literacy. In addition to a salary commensurate with the status of a
high profile, established scholar, this position includes start-up funding and an annual budget to support the scholar's research and teaching endeavors.
Program areas in the Department of Teacher Education and Higher Education focus on the development of teaching, leadership and inquiry skills in schools and teacher development. The Department offers undergraduate majors in elementary and middle grades education, licensure
programs in several secondary teaching areas, master's degrees and certification programs in Literacy Education and other areas including Higher Education, and a Ph.D. in Teacher Education and Development. Faculty in the department value collegiality and are committed to collaboration in programs and inquiry with practitioners, students, scholars, and faculty. The UNCG School of Education and its programs regularly rank among the top forty colleges and universities in the United States according to the ratings reported in the U.S. News and World Report. The University is Doctoral/Research Extensive with an enrollment of over 18,000 students.
Applicants and nominees for this position must have a record of scholarship that will qualify for appointment at the rank of Full Professor and 1) demonstrated excellence in scholarship in literacy, 2) a willingness to serve as a mentor to doctoral students and faculty as well as be a resource to others in the University community, 3) a dedication to and proven excellence in teaching, 4) a history of securing external funding, and 5) a willingness to help attract outstanding prospective faculty and students to the University.
The responsibilities of the Moran Professorship are to:
- Be actively engaged in regionally and nationally significant literacy research and scholarly activity.
- Mentor faculty and graduate students in an effort to advance University programs.
- Actively seek and acquire external funding to support literacy research and other relevant programmatic activities.
- Teach and advise students at the graduate level.
- Contribute to the overall instructional, research, and service mission of the School of Education.
- Provide leadership in the department regarding teaching, program quality, grant writing, and research.
- Serve broader Greensboro communities through community engaged literacy initiatives.
Greensboro, a city of 270,000, is located in the Piedmont Triad Region near the Research Triangle and other doctorate granting institutions, a location providing easy access to recreational opportunities at the beach and the mountains. The local metropolitan area (which includes the
cities of High Point and Winston-Salem) has a population of almost 1 million and offers an excellent
quality of life.
For further information about the department, UNCG, or Greensboro, please access: https://tehe.uncg.edu, www.uncg.edu, and www.greensboro.com.
- Rank of full professor in literacy education (K-12).
- Demonstrated commitment to literacy teacher education, equity in literacy education, working in urban and/or rural settings, and collaborative/interdisciplinary models of research.
- Demonstrated scholarship (e.g., publications, presentations) in appropriate areas of expertise.
- Record of external funding.
Tenure Status Tenure
Special Instructions to Applicants
Upload electronic copies of curriculum vitae, cover letter describing your program of research, representative publications, and the contact information for three references.
All questions can be addressed to Amy Vetter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin Nov. 21, 2016 and will continue until the position is successfully filled.
Recruitment Range Competitive and commensurate with qualifications
Org #-Department Teacher Education-Higher Education - 12006
Job Open Date 10/28/2016
For Best Consideration Date 11/21/2016
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu