Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Programmer.
An experienced Programmer must have the knowledge and capabilities to write and maintain programming code, test, and document according to standards and peer review. Must have excellent communication and problem solving skills and the ability to work individually or with a team, clients, and vendors. This position is a full-time position that will report directly to the Executive Director of IT & CIO. The programmer duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Confirm project requirements by reviewing program objective(s), input data and output requirements with analyst, supervisor, and/or vendor.
• Write programs in a variety of computer languages
• Update and expand existing programs
• Debug programs by testing for and fixing errors
• Build and use CASE tools to automate writing and testing of code
• Use code libraries to simplify the writing of code and maintenance
• Provide user and software support of current and future internet and internal applications in order to meet the college’s needs
• Write and update documentation within code, in a wiki, and for end-user clients.
• Maintain up to-date technical knowledge
• Provide supervisor and team lead of project and work-order status and advanced issues, roadblocks or challenges.
• Recommend solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development versus purchase alternatives.
• Bachelor’s Degree in information systems
• 3-5 years relevant work experience
• Banner, Oracle Database & SQL, RedHat Linux knowledge
• Basic technical understanding of application operations/functionality on an operating system, need to support and troubleshoot.
• Modern office practices and procedures.
• Databases: Oracle, MySQL
• Frameworks: Gradle, Grails
• Fundamental concepts of object-oriented design (OOD) and software debugging.
• Experience with RedHat Linux and Source Code Management software (Git)
• Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, ability to work individually or as a team player
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills. The ability to communicate in both technical and non-technical language.
• Able to multi-task, prioritize under pressure, and have good organizational and time management skills. Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to review material for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Relocation Assistance Available
Posting Number 20110527
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- I am a former SMC Employee
- SMC Website
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts