Legal Specialist / Paralegal
New York City College of Technology of The City University of New York seeks applications for a Legal Affairs & Diversity Specialist/Paralegal. The Legal Affairs & Diversity Specialist/Paralegal reports to both the Special Counsel and Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator/ADA & 504 Coordinator of New York City College of Technology (College) of The City University of New York (University). The Special Counsel provides legal advice to the College administration, performs internal investigations, manages litigation and also serves as the College's Ethics Officer, and Records Access Officer. The CDO/Title IX Coordinator investigates discrimination matters for the College and reports to the President on such matters. The CDO also handles diversity approval processes and is responsible for filing the College's annual federal Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) and its annual Italian American Affirmative Action Plan. The ADA/504 Coordinator provides appeal level review for the denial of disability reasonable accommodation requests.
This position supports both the Special Counsel and CDO/TIX Coordinator, which represent two departments, by managing the shared office, and performing duties from both officers.
The duties and responsibilities of the position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develops and drafts legal documents in connection with Freedom of Information Law/Act, Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act subpoenas and discovery requests
- Assists in preparing for litigation/hearings, including managing litigation holds and e-discovery
- Assists with Title IX investigations
- Manages/organizes case and diversity recruitment AAP files, including digitizing records, running reports in CUNYfirst and tracking searches
- Creates and manages excel spreadsheets containing data necessary for the annual AAP reports
- Manages and schedules training
- Assists with drafting memos to internal and external parties
- Performs legal/other research
- Performs general administrative/office-related tasks, including answering phones/email communications, scheduling meetings, handling expense reports, replenishing office supplies, making copies, managing files, indexing cases, and other duties as required
- Experience working in the field of employment law; higher education law; litigation; employee relations; ethics and compliance; or human resources management considered highly desirable
- Prior experience working in a university setting, with an understanding of the academic recruitment, tenure, and promotion process strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills essential
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a high level administrative team is vital
- Highly proficient knowledge of MS Office Suite, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Ability to multi-task in a very busy environment
Bachelor's Degree and four years of related experience required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Supports a College or University unit by providing research and managing documents for legal matters of various kinds.
- Supports a College or University unit in research and managing documents for legal matters of various kinds
- Performs research and writing activities; prepare opinions, reports and drafts of research activities
- Develops and drafts legal documents, filings, charges, grievance and disciplinary decisions, and similar items
- Assists in preparing for litigation or hearings; compiles and analyzes legal data pertinent to cases; prepares summaries
- Researches, gathers, and compiles case data; studies provisions and nuances of contract, collective bargaining agreements, CUNY policies, and laws or regulations and fulfills requests for information
- Files and indexes case studies, actions, contracts, decisions, and other legal documents
- May perform paralegal duties in a specialized unit, such as labor relations, contracts, or student immigration support
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Legal Specialist - Paralegal
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information. Candidates should provide a cover letter summarizing teaching philosophy and research area, CV/resume and letters of recommendation.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. review of resumes may begin January 9, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: NYC College of Technology
Job Title: Legal Specialist / Paralegal
Job ID: 16171
Full/Part Time: Full-Time