Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-064
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 1/17/17*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the two (2) faculty positions of Instructor, Mathematics, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Dean of the Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering (PSME) Division, instruct community college mathematics courses to a diverse student population with diverse learning styles. Be able to teach the full range of mathematics courses from pre-algebra and algebra to statistics, calculus, discrete mathematics, linear algebra and differential equations. Supplement mathematics courses with computer, web-based and/or calculator applications, and Learning Management Systems. Motivate and encourage students to be successful. Support program planning and develop goals and metrics for student learning outcomes. Support student success in STEM by encouraging the use of PSME Learning Resource Center as well as college-wide academic supports.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's degree in mathematics or applied mathematics OR
Bachelor's degree in either of the above AND Master's degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education OR
- Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach developmental and pre-collegiate mathematics, as well as courses at the level of calculus or higher. Ability to adapt pedagogy and teaching style to successfully serve students enrolled in courses at various levels of the curriculum.
- Experience in the use of graphing calculators, computer applications, the internet, and other pertinent multimedia in teaching mathematics.
- Knowledge of and ability to communicate various issues and concerns facing historically underrepresented students as it relates to the course content.
- Recent professional development activities or coursework related to teaching mathematics at the community college level.
- Evidence of diligent, conscientious and constructive working relationships with professional colleagues.
- Evidence of high academic standards.
- Ability to assume a leadership role in developing innovative mathematics curricula related to teaching mathematics at the community college level.
- Ability and commitment to working with a diverse division/team on implementing culturally inclusive practices and participating in dialogues on equity in education.
In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Willingness to incorporate technology in the teaching and learning process.
- Experience working with and developing inclusive and highly effective culturally responsive classroom activities or work groups.
- Capacity to convey a sense of enthusiasm and excitement about mathematics and teaching.
- Experience with pedagogy that engages students in their own learning process and develops critical thinking skills.
- Experience facilitating difficult conversations and addressing cross-cultural conflicts with sensitivity and compassion.
- Assist with developing and maintaining the department's equity plan and socially just practices.
- Commitment to professional development and practice of cultural humility.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A one-page cover letter detailing how your qualification, skills and abilities relate to this position in general, and the preferred qualifications in particular.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- All college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) in Word or scanned PDF format. We do not accept JPEG or other file formats for transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/