Web Content and Digital Communications Manager
Posting Date December 1, 2016
Position Title Web Content and Digital Communications Manager
Vacancy # V-1236
Department College of the Arts
Division Academic Affairs
The College of the Arts (CART) seeks a Web Content and Digital Communications Manager to uphold and advance the college's public standing as a premier academic entity and cultural destination among prospective and enrolled students, arts audiences, and the community at large. Reporting to the CART Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Communications, and in cooperation with college and university stakeholders, the web content and digital communications manager will create, edit, and maintain content for the college's website (montclair.edu/arts) as well as initiate and support communication strategies that include social media outreach, e-marketing, news production, and other forms of electronic messaging.
• Coordinate with University Communications division to execute the University brand strategy for the college and its schools/departments.
• Develop, maintain and continuously improve static and dynamic web pages for CART at the college, school/department, program and professional-profile levels, utilizing best practices for usability, interactivity, accessibility and search engine optimization (SEO).
• Create pages that emphasize multimedia (images, video, graphic elements); and include examples of professional and students' work in the visual, media, and performing arts.
• Create and interface with the production of news, newsletters, events calendars and marketing content. (Strong writing ability is essential to this position.)
• Work closely with University and CART supervisor, staff, and faculty to ensure that all content is robust and up to date.
• Manage CART presence and repurpose content for use on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, and iTunes U, in accordance with University standards and protocol.
• Perform regular quality control checks to ensure functionality and information accuracy, as well as vibrant, consistent and grammatically correct content. Troubleshoot technical problems, e.g. fixing broken links.
• Use analytics tools to assess web traffic, unique users and bounce rates for purposes of page optimization and making improvements. Draw upon best practices to ensure website is competitive among peer sites.
• In cooperation with CRM initiatives, develop templates and marketing content for e-blast communications, digital ads and electronic signage/display monitors. Maintain campaign mailing lists, where appropriate.
• Facilitate web-based surveys, registration forms, crowdsourcing, and other means to elicit broad-based constituent feedback and engagement.
• Assist with the preparation of strategy plans, reports, digital presentations, and data visualizations in regards to Web and communications.
Qualifications & Requirements
Preference for candidates who bring the following qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree with preference for major in Communications, Digital Media and Marketing, English, Journalism, or related field; MA preferred or more extensive work experience. Complementary training in web development highly desirable.
• Minimum 2 to 3 years' experience in digital-platform communications; at least 2 years demonstrated proficiency with Content Management Systems and web content management.
• Preferred experience with Higher Education communications.
• Demonstrated ability for writing for the web, proofreading and editing skills, and design sensibility. Experience with news, blog and/or social media content, a plus; arts writing, a major plus.
• Understanding and use of web best practices for accessibility, usability, keywords, and SEO preferred.
• Experience with managing social media platforms and tools (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Hootsuite)
• Experience with e-marketing communications.
• Technical Skills: Understanding of HTML structure and basic CSS concepts. Proficiency with WordPress, a plus. Experience with Adobe Photoshop/InDesign, PowerPoint, web analytics, and/or video production for the web, desirable. Proficiency in additional software a plus (please list in cover letter.) Design sensibility essential.
• Personal skills: Self-motivated and creative with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with stakeholders and to thrive in a fast-paced, multitasking, team-oriented environment. Sense of humor a plus.
• Appreciation for the arts is highly desirable.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date March 2017
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for the position Apply here . Please include web URLs and writing samples that demonstrate your proficiencies. (include vacancy # if above)
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION