Financial Aid Senior Advisor
Stella and Charles Guttman Community College at CUNY seeks a Financial Aid Senior Advisor in the Office of Financial Aid to administer federal and state aid programs. Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid, the Senior Advisor provides quality services to students, families, and other constituencies on financial aid matters.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Verify students' academic eligibility based on Federal and State academic progress and program pursuits standards.
- Assist TAP certifying officer in certifying or de-certifying, electronically and/or manually, individual students based on New York State's academic standards.
- Assist TAP certifying officer in evaluating and verifying data from multiple source records and reconcile reports of final TAP award certification.
- Research and resolve problems related to student aid eligibility.
- Advise students of the TAP Waiver process and provide guidance on TAP standards, rules and requirements to Waiver decision-makers.
- Work closely with Bursar, Registrar, Information Services and CUNY Central Office to establish procedures that generate timely data needed for accurate certification of each award.
- Provide general financial aid counseling to students, including conducting and assisting in financial aid workshop seminars for prospective Guttman students.
- Monitor and update Financial Aid matters and content on the College website.
- May facilitate other daily operations and activities of the Financial Aid Office as needed to support the unit and service the college community.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Working knowledge of HESC and PeopleSoft systems, particularly CUNYfirst, preferred. Must have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of financial aid programs (federal, state, city, institutional), regulations, policies, guidelines, and processes. Must have comprehensive knowledge and experience in working with databases and Microsoft Office/Windows. Must be able to establish priorities and manage multiple demands. The ideal candidate will have strong customer service orientation and excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Counsels applicants and students on a variety of issues related to financial aid eligibility and awards.
- Counsels prospective and incoming students with regard to eligibility criteria and options, including academic standing requirements and appeals
- Performs application intake, evaluation, processing and awarding
- Verifies eligibility for federal and state financial aid programs including grants, scholarships, and guaranteed student loans
- Evaluates and implements announced changes to financial aid programs; may supervise other Advisors
- Prepares and updates financial aid databases and reports
- Conducts group workshops and represents the financial aid office at various on- and off- campus events
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Advisor - Senior
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (16307) or Title (Financial Aid Senior Advisor).
Make sure to upload a cover letter and resume (as one document), by the closing date.
March 1, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Guttman Community College
Job Title: Financial Aid Senior Advisor
Job ID: 16307
Full/Part Time: Full-Time