Data Analyst 2
Data Analyst 2 Job Family:
Information AnalyticsJob Series:
Data Analyst Job Code:
I Exemption: Exempt Effective/Revision Date:
04/01/2015 Job Series Matrix URL: View PDF Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description JOB PURPOSE:
Under minimal supervision, perform the most complex technical work associated with a wide variety of analytical data and produce routine, single data sources' information requests. Sources and acquires data both internally and externally needed to conduct data analytics across procure to pay such as spend analytics, savings, and business expense analysis CORE DUTIES*: Work under consultative or self-initiated direction to assess and produce relevant, standard, or custom information (reports, charts, graphs and tables) from structured data sources by querying data repositories and generating the associated information. Distribute and disseminate reports to applicable agencies, researchers, management and other internal end-users. Devise methods for identifying data patterns, trends in available information sources using a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques. Determine and recommend additional data collection and reporting requirements. Design and customize reports based upon data in the database. Create non-routine databases and their related information summary; develop algorithms and statistical model; and perform statistical analyses appropriate to complex data and reporting requirements. Serve as a resource for non-routine inquiries such as requests for statistics or surveys. Lead the implementation of data standards and common data elements for data collection. Collaborate with technical staff to standardize and systemize routine reports, dashboards, and metrics. May test prototype software and participate in approval and release process for new software.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
- Ability to translate unstructured, complex business problems into abstract analytical and mathematical framework and solutions.
- Ability to analyze analytics requirements and recommend solutions, techniques and metrics to minimize false positive.
- Ability to extract, transform, and enrich data from multiple sources, e.g. data warehouse, data mart, OLTP data bases, API, csv.
- Experience with programming languages such as SQL, R, Python, or Java.
- Experience with data visualization such as Tableau.
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing framework -- Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Pig, Hive, NoSQL, MongoDB,
- Some experience with Data Science, predictive analytics, or NLP.
- Expertise in software engineering and data analysis principles and skills working on Windows/ Unix/Linux operating systems, Version Control and Office software.
- Ability to understand and apply the software development lifecycle.
- Ability to lead, mentor, motivate and supervise technical staff.
- Ability to communicate technical information to all audiences.
Preferred education with Master's Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Math, Statistics or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: In-depth knowledge and experience using and applying analytical software, database management system software, database reporting software, database user interface and query software, and data mining software. Expert ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic documentation study, to improve or expand databases. Basic statistical ability. Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment; highly organized, flexible and rigorous attention to detail. Ability to use logic to calculate data; efficiently construct a database or scrutinize the form of a question. Ability to work with data of varying levels of quality and validity. Demonstrated ability to produce data in a clear and understandable manner meeting user requirements. Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external customers. Ability to take a leadership role on projects and with users/clients.
Certifications and Licenses: None PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS*: Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks. Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less. Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat. Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job. WORKING CONDITIONS: May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
WORK STANDARDS: Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations. Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned. Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
Job: Information Analytics
Location: Business Affairs
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.