Academic Advising Coordinator - Advisement (Multiple Positions)
Reporting to the Academic Advising Specialist, the Academic Advising Coordinator supports degree-completion advising services related to continuing students as well as the following duties:
- Collaborate with Academic Departments and Academic Affairs administrators to ensure that current and changing degree requirements are reflected in advising resources and shared with faculty and staff that provide academic advisement.
- Update and maintain individual student progress in the Degree Audit system in collaboration with the Registrar's Office, to maintain accurate applications of courses to degree requirements and to assist students with retention, financial aid certification, and ultimately graduation.
- Collaborate with academic departments and academic advisors to establish alternate paths and viable course options for academic programs with obsolete or moot requirements.
- Be a contact point for all faculty and staff with advising questions regarding processes of course wavers, exemptions and substitutions.
- Collaborate with special programs/cohorts (ASAP, College Discovery, Veterans, etc.) to assist with course selection advising and increases in graduation rates.
- Assist with the development of advising strategies for students who are deemed "off track" towards degree completion.
- Provide monthly status reports.
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Bachelor's degree required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides basic administrative support for the academic counseling program.
- Coordinates group student academic counseling and advisement workshops; schedules on-going advisement sessions
- Works with students to resolve academic issues by providing policy information and/or referrals
- Assists with training students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts workshops for new faculty
- Updates advisement communication materials
- May conduct surveys of student services to evaluate program effectiveness; compiles data to prepare activity reports as needed
- May occasionally offer general academic advisement to students in degree and certificate programs.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Coordinator
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
From CUNY's job posting system at www.cuny.edu, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site, www.cuny.edu, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and the contact information for three professional references.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: Academic Advising Coordinator - Advisement (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16225
Full/Part Time: Full-Time