EOC Academic Advisor - Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center
The State University of New York, Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center, provides tuition free academic and workforce development training to eligible New York State residents, providing a pathway to lifelong learning, college access and economic self-sufficiency.
Reporting to the Student Services Director or designee, and located in the Advisement Center, the Student Advisor advises students in career and developmental programs and assists them in completing their program of study successfully.
In addition to the CUNY Title overview, the duties of the EOC Academic Advisor include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide academic and career advisement to students enrolled in Allied Health, other career programs and High School Equivalency and ESOL programs.
- Assist students with developing life skills, setting goals, discussing educational and career options
- Review program requirements, and Center policies and procedures with applicants and students in individual or group settings
- Monitor and evaluate student progress
- Provide effective and timely referrals to internal and external support services
- Work closely with instructors, career advisors and other staff to develop student success strategies
- Establish and maintain student files, databases and records
- Prepare activity reports and analyses
- Advise students with barriers to employment
- Provide follow-up services
Flexible schedule - day and evening hours
Bachelor's degree required
Experience in advising non- traditional students and those with academic deficits and life challenges preferred. Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills needed; customer service orientation is essential, able to work effectively with faculty, staff, students and external constituents. Proficiency in MS Office required. Experience with academic or career advising software a plus. Ability to work a flexible schedule of day and evening hours.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic advisement and planning services to a diverse student population within an Educational Opportunity Center (EOC).
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals, discussing educational options, requirements, policies and procedures; offers academic and personal support
- Provides effective and timely referrals to other support services
- Monitors and evaluates student progress
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EOC Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with qualifications and experience ($35,575 to $46,328).
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of resumes may begin October 14, 2016.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: NYC College of Technology
Job Title: EOC Academic Advisor - Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center
Job ID: 15619
Full/Part Time: Full-Time