Co-Course Director for Practice of Medicine (Clinical Professor)
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The CUNY School of Medicine at the City College of New York is searching for a Co-Course Director for its Practice of Medicine courses. The Practice of Medicine (POM) courses are a three-year sequence of pre-clerkship clinical skills courses for students at Sophie Davis Program in Biomedical Education/CUNY School of Medicine's BS/MD program. In addition to teaching students the skills of medical interviewing, physical diagnosis, and clinical reasoning, the course also teaches students about primary care by providing students with authentic learning experiences in a longitudinal primary care setting over three years. Hire will be in the non-tenure track title of Clinical Professor
The co-course director will work together with the clinical skills faculty to direct and administer the new Practice of Medicine courses.
Practice of Medicine co-director general duties:
- Assist in the development, implementation and subsequent required revisions of the POM courses.
- Teach lecture sections related to the co-director's area of expertise or interest.
- Lead/Teach small group sessions in clinical skills (communication skills, physical diagnosis, clinical reasoning).
- Participate in ongoing curriculum assessment, and teaching in other SDSBE/CUNY School of Medicine courses including the Organ Systems (integrated basic science) courses.
- Facilitate PBL sessions in other SDPBE/CUNY School of Medicine courses.
- Participate in hiring, faculty development and evaluation for all course faculty, including building relationships with St Barnabas Hospital clinical faculty.
- Participate in monthly course directors and clinical curriculum subcommittee meetings.
- Maintain clinical sites for student placement in the POM courses through site visits and communication with site administrators regarding course matters.
- Create and update course materials, including the LCMS+course website, in keeping with the standard of the SDPBE/CUNY SOM courses.
- Create and grade student assessments/exams; generate student final course grades, identify and appropriately set a course of action for students who are failing or performing poorly.
- Collaborate with relevant faculty, educational committees and offices on matters regarding course schedule, content, curriculum mapping and course review/evaluation.
- Participate in other related SDPBE/CUNY SOM activities including service on committees (ex: Admissions, Curriculum, Student Promotions, Ethics, etc.).
- Participate in medical education research or other scholarly activities.
- Oversee course administrative support staff.
The successful candidate will have a M.D. or D.O. degree, be board certified, and must be a physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York or be eligible for a NY State license.
- Previous experience as a medical school course director and/or teaching experience in undergraduate medical education for a least five (5) years is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and experience with curriculum development is desired.
- The successful candidate will have an ability to combine administrative, education and teaching responsibilities.
- Must also possess outstanding communication and leadership skills in working with students and clinical faculty members.
- The person in this position must be also be willing participate in appropriate academic and scholarly activity to further the institution's contributions to medical education.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (15644) or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/ resume, a statement of scholarly interests, and the contact information for three (3) references.
Open until filled, with review of applications to begin November 1, 2016
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: CUNY School of Medicine
Job Title: Co-Course Director for Practice of Medicine (Clinical Professor)
Job ID: 15644
Full/Part Time: Full-Time